How To Support A Beer Can Cake?

Decorating By Bogey1387 Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 4:34pm by Bogey1387

Bogey1387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bogey1387 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 4

Hey there! I am goin to attempt a can of beer cake as a grooms cake. I plan on using 6 6in layers on top of a 10 in base cake. What it the best way to support this cake...PVC or doll rod in the center? And if so how do I attach these? I have made lots tall layers cakes but nothing like this. I have to transport it so I need it to be stable. Also should I layer cake boards inbetween each cake layer...every other? Thanks in advance!

3 replies
mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 4

I've seen it them done a couple ways. Use a wooden dowel srewed into a wooden cake board and then cut a hole in your cake and cake board and set the cake over top the dowel.

I have also seen someone use a couple coat hangers to make a circle on the cake board base and then taped down and then slid the cakes around the coat hanger.

As for stacking the cakes it will be just like any other stacked cakes so a cake board for every two layers.

KarlaGJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarlaGJ Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 4

My beer can cake was 5 6" layers. I used a board underneath each layer and one dowel through the center, as well as shorter dowels to support each layer. The cake traveled down a mountain, 70 miles and then up another mountain and arrived with no problems.

Bogey1387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bogey1387 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks!!! That confirms I was going about it the right way. Now to decide how to put the logo on....gumpaste, fondant, paint, or sugar sheet!!! Choices choices! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%