Plastic Cookie Cutters?

Baking By ladixiechic1 Updated 28 Sep 2011 , 5:37pm by ladixiechic1

ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have a good method for getting the cookie dough out of plastic cookie cutters icon_sad.gif (the ones with the solid back). I have tried flouring the cookie cutter and it doesn't work, the cookie dough gets stuck in side and there is no way to get it out without damaging the design of the cookie.
Thanks in advance!

8 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 9

I have no clue.. But made try some non stick cooking spray?

Jillfcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jillfcs Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 9

Roll out the dough and pop it in the freezer for a few minutes. I have found that if the dough is super cold (not frozen), it does not stick with those types of cookie cutters.

Kathy99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy99 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:18am
post #4 of 9

I would do what mplaidgirl2 suggests. Non stick cooking spray works great.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 3:12am
post #5 of 9

Been there with those plastic cutters. Throw them away, that's my suggestion. They are not worth the aggravation, no matter how cute the design. I had a darling dinosaur with an adorable grin. We tried everything to stop the dough from sticking, but those tricks ended up taking more of our time. Eventually I broke his little neck and decided that I'd never use those evil cookie cutters again.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

...Eventually I broke his little neck and decided that I'd never use those evil cookie cutters again.

LOL! Luckily I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, or I would've sprayed my keyboard!

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 9

I LOVE plastic detail cookie cutters. If you don't want them, send them to me!

Here are my hints for making them work, as well as the old fashioned tin type with backs. I used to chill my dough before rolling and cutting, but I don't anymore. I chill after they are cut and on the tray before baking. I found that small detail parts of the dough were more likely to stick in the cutter with cold dough. Each cutter can be a little different though, if it doesn't work one way, I'll try another.

I roll 1/4" deep between a long folded over sheet of wax paper on a doughboard. After the dough is rolled, lift just the top section of wax paper. I use one of these to dust the dough very lightly with flour. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFPV9/?tag=cakecentral-20

By not lifting the bottom section of the wax paper and flouring that side before cutting, the slight stickiness of the dough will help the cutout adhere to the wax paper as opposed to stuck in your cookie cutter when you lift it.

Press your cutter well into an an unrolled dough blob. That allows it to pick up just a bit of grease from the dough and the flour you next dip the cutter into will be more effective. Don't spray the cutter with PAM before dipping. That just makes a mess. 1/4" thick dough is just a little deep for some of these cutters, so what I do is put the cutter down one side at a time and use somewhat of a rolling motion toward the other side of the cutter. What this does is allow any excess dough height to kind of bloop out to the side.

Next I pull the wax paper with the cut cookie on it toward the edge of the counter. I pull the paper away and let the cut cookie gently fall onto my hand. Then I place the cookie on a tray with parchment to chill, and then bake.

If the dough does stick despite these efforts, I'll often just try again. With a little more grease from the dough and re-floured, the next time probably will work. Yes, they are more trouble than open cutters, but I like the designs enough to mess around with them.

ladixiechic1 Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the reply everyone! I have definately learned not to purchase them any more, no matter how cute they are. Cindy58 I am going to definately try this method. icon_biggrin.gif Bake on ladies thumbs_up.gif

ladixiechic1 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 9

Cindy58 I tried your suggestion and it worked like a charm thumbs_up.gif Thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%