Viva

Decorating By me_me1 Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 4:03pm by inspiredbymom

me_me1 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

I was looking to buy some Viva online with Amazon (I'm based in the UK) but have read a lot of recent reviews saying that Viva has changed recently and it's now not as good.

Would anyone who buys this regularly be able to comment? Has it changed? Is it not as good for smoothing anymore?

Cheers for your input.

icon_smile.gif

8 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 9

I haven't reward that. I bought a roll of Viva this week and it worked as usual. One thing I discovered accidentally was that there are sides to Viva. You want to use the side that faces the inside of the roll. Not the outside. I hope someone pops in about the changes. I'd be interested to know if others are having issues.

inspiredbymom Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 9

I was at a cake club meeting this week and someone told me that they are thinner. I was hoping to stock up with the old supply! That is the only thing that I have heard. I don't know how it will affect the end result though.

augurey Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 9

During my Wilton Course 1, the instructor said that Viva has two sides; a softer side and a more coarse side. She said it really didn't matter which side you used -- though one or the other tends to work better than the other for some people.

I'm not sure when the change took place. I only started using Viva in May. My only dislike of Viva is that it gets very linty and then end up with lint in the cake... which I don't like. The instructor said to just pluck them out with a toothpick, but still.

Someone on here advised trying shop towels (blue towels - similar to Viva) found in the Auto department in most stores. Similar to Viva minus lint.

inspiredbymom Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 9

You know, that is an idea. My husband is a tech and has to use this type of lint free towel to keep the sensors and glass clean in the machines that he works on. HMMMMMMM......oh sweetie pie, can I check out your towel stock to see if it texture and lint free????? You know we just laugh at how we look at everything and see how we can use it on a cake. LOL!

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 9

I find that I prefer the printed Viva towels. I always smooth with the printed side against the cake.

That side is smoother, I suspect because of the heat process used to create the print.

I don't have any issues with lint doing it this way.

HTH
Rae

augurey Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiredbymom

You know, that is an idea. My husband is a tech and has to use this type of lint free towel to keep the sensors and glass clean in the machines that he works on. HMMMMMMM......oh sweetie pie, can I check out your towel stock to see if it texture and lint free????? You know we just laugh at how we look at everything and see how we can use it on a cake. LOL!

lol so far I've noticed that they've been lint free. And I totally get what you mean about looking at things and try to see how we can use it on a cake. I was rather entertained walking through a hardware store looking for cake tools lol I can tell you that before I started doing this, I would have never guessed!

BlakesCakes, The printed Viva, are they just printed with color or do they have actual grooves in them? If the latter, do you find that you end up with any of the markings in your icing?

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 9

They're printed, but not embossed. Perfectly smooth, as seen below:

Rae

inspiredbymom Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 9

I haven't had problems with lint either. However, I carefully open the wrapper and slip the roll back in when I'm done so they don't get messed up. Maybe that makes a difference?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%