Fondant For A Birthday Cake

Baking By momdotcom Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 7:08am by sweettreat101

momdotcom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdotcom Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 4

I am to make a birthday cake and have never worked with Fondant - can anyone give me opinion on what Fondant receipe to use - there are so many to choose from and I don't have time to test them all out - I have to have it this Saturday -

Thank You for any help icon_smile.gif

3 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 4

Is there somewhere you can buy it?

dVine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dVine Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 4

Michele Foster's recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7432/michele-fosters-updated-fondant ....easy to work with....and tastes good too! I have tried MMF, although it tastes good, it is hard to work with....too sticky for me. According to the comments on Michele Foster's recipe, you can add tylose to this recipe to make gumpaste.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 7:08am
post #4 of 4

If you haven't made it before I would actually buy it. But if you don't have somewhere to purchase fondant I would use this recipe. Hope you have a heavy duty mixer.
1/4 cup shortening
1 (16 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
4 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioners' sugar, divided
In a large bowl add marshmallows and water and microwave until melted. Grease your large mixing bowl and dough hook with shortening. Add melted marshmallows, half of the powdered sugar, vanilla and 1/4 cup shortening. Mix on low until incorporated. Add more sugar a little at a time. Take fondant out of the bowl and knead until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a Ziploc bag. Let rest on the counter overnight. I like to add five to six drops of candy oil flavoring to my fondant during the mixing process. If you plan on coloring the fondant all one color it is easier to do this by adding the color to the melted marshmallows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%