Substituting Cake Flour With Ap?

Baking By ConfectionsCC Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 8:17pm by ConfectionsCC

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 7

How many people have successfully substituted cake flour with Ap and cornstarch? I am really wanting to test a new scratch white cake recipe, but I don't have cake flour, plus its more than double the cost of AP icon_sad.gif I do plan to buy some in bulk later, its cheaper...of subject sorry LOL! Anyways, I read to convert it take away 3 TBS of AP flour and replace it with cornstarch and sift very very well. Does this really work?

6 replies
ConfectionsCC Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone do this before? I have read many times that you could, but never asked anyone if they actually had!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnyca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnyca Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 7

I've done it multiple times with no problem. Just make sure you sift the cornstarch and a.p flour well before using it.

Edit:This is the ratio I use.
http://joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

Mikail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikail Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 7

We don't have cake flour here and I do it always. I substitute 15% cornstarch or replace 2 TBS of cornstarch per 1 cup of APF. I use bleached APF and sift. It works fine but with some recipes you may have a small, greyish ring in the middle and it seems like it hasn't been baked (read somewhere that this is due to not using cake flour). Overall, the results seem good; cakes are soft and moist.

ConfectionsCC Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 7

Ahh thanks ya'll!! I shall begin my baking now icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%