Substituting Cake Flour With Ap?

Baking By ConfectionsCC Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 8:17pm by ConfectionsCC

ConfectionsCC Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 7

How many people have successfully substituted cake flour with Ap and cornstarch? I am really wanting to test a new scratch white cake recipe, but I don't have cake flour, plus its more than double the cost of AP icon_sad.gif I do plan to buy some in bulk later, its cheaper...of subject sorry LOL! Anyways, I read to convert it take away 3 TBS of AP flour and replace it with cornstarch and sift very very well. Does this really work?

6 replies
ConfectionsCC Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone do this before? I have read many times that you could, but never asked anyone if they actually had!

sunnyca Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 7

I've done it multiple times with no problem. Just make sure you sift the cornstarch and a.p flour well before using it.

Edit:This is the ratio I use.

Mikail Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 7

We don't have cake flour here and I do it always. I substitute 15% cornstarch or replace 2 TBS of cornstarch per 1 cup of APF. I use bleached APF and sift. It works fine but with some recipes you may have a small, greyish ring in the middle and it seems like it hasn't been baked (read somewhere that this is due to not using cake flour). Overall, the results seem good; cakes are soft and moist.

ConfectionsCC Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 7

Ahh thanks ya'll!! I shall begin my baking now icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%