Help! Need Advice For Some 2D And 3D Gumpaste Work

Decorating By creationsbylisa

creationsbylisa Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 1

Hi all - I've got a cake coming up for the opening night cast party of Beauty and the Beast (broadway production). I want to impress them with the most awesome cake ever!
I have my designs and am confident about them, but the issue I'm concerned about is attaching the gumpaste items and traveling with them so that nothing breaks.
The 1st one will be the Beast's castle. I'm covering the layer in fondant and then am cutting out the castle elements (towers, turrets, etc) and layering them on the sides of the cake to create a 2D effect. I'm worried about the turret roofs that will stand up over the top edge of the cake. What can I do to support those so that they do not crack and break in route? Does that make sense?
The cakes will be displayed separately, rather than stacked. So i'm not worried about stacking them.
The 2nd one that concerns me is the Rose cake. I'm doing a dome shaped cake and using gumpaste to make the open rose petals. This will be a 9 inch cake, so the petals will be LARGE. Here I have 2 concerns. 1- how to make sure there is no cracking/breaking in route and 2- how to "fit" the petals to the size/shape of the cake when I am planning to make the petals ahead of time so that they can fully dry. Should I bake the cake, freeze it, use it for measuring, etc and then put it back in the freezer?
I really appreciate the help! Thanks!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%