Nintendo Or Mario Cake

Decorating By tosha_e_1 Updated 23 Sep 2011 , 2:16am by Kathy99

tosha_e_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tosha_e_1 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 11

My hubby has requested something along the lines of a Mario cake. I was originally wanting to do a Nintendo NES cake. I gotta start this cake Thursday! EEK!
I have NOTHING, notta!
I am by far NOT a professional, so I cant do anything super hard icon_sad.gif
To make matters more difficult, he doesnt like or want fondant icon_sad.gif

Any ideas, thoughts, tips? links? Need something easy but awesome! lol

10 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 11

I just posted my Mario cake in my photos which was bc not fondant. The topper was a little on the hard side but the star was easy it just needed to dry for a few days. Everything Attached to the side of the cake was fairly easy even the candle holders were easy.

tosha_e_1 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks so much! It looks awesome! Do you have any tips on how to add Mario NOT 3d? I have never worked with gumpaste or done anything 3d before. Or do you think he is easy enough to learn?? tips on how to make him?

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 11

Thank u! Check out some youtube videos on basic gumpaste info. If you feel confident in making him here are some instructions on what to do. You only need to build the upper half of his body if your going to have him stick out of the tube which you can make by wrapping green gumpaste around some kind of tube. I used a paper towel holder wrapped in plastic wrap. So to make Mario color all the gumpaste first and find something made out of styrofoam and place a large toothpick in the middle this is going to be where you build Mario and let him dry. Start with his torso. I used red gumpaste to form a chest which was a little wide lol then I used blue gumpaste, rolled it flat and cut out overalls in two pieces one for the back and one for the front and adhered it with gum glue which is a little dab of gumpaste dissolved in water it should be a light paste consistency. Next do the arms which can be adhered with one toothpick cut it in half and use one of each arm also I made these a little to wide. Also apply a small amount of gum glue near the toothpick just for extra protection. Then do the hands. had a hard time with these. Try and form them and cut fingers with a small scissor. make sure the toothpicks are long enough to stick the hands on. Next shape the head, cut out a mustache, form a nose and ears. Attach them with a very small amount of gum glue. I had small cutters to help with the eyes. After I did that I molded a hat and used an edible marker to write the M. After I attached the hat with gum glue I added some hair in the back and side burns. It sounds more difficult than it actually is. Make sure the toothpick you are using to build mario is just shy of the top of the hat. Cut it smaller as you see fit. The toothpick should be able to adhere the hat to his head but not be seen once the hat is on. When your ready to assemble the topper place green fondant 3/4 of the way down the tube take Mario out of the styrofoam and insert him into the fondant. I used a little bit of RI to attach him to the cake. If he seems heavy to you place a dowel under where he will be positioned. Hopefully that makes sense. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 11

you could do a frozen buttercream transfer (you can google tutorials for it if you haven't done one before) or here is a cute one using the piping gel transfer technique and the star tip
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1793080

tosha_e_1 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks so much for the tips!
1) I THINK I may try to pull this off with the gumpaste. Quick question: What is the difference between gumpaste and fondant, and which one is better? do you color the same with the wilton colors (gel ones)? What is gum glue? is that something that we buy? SORRY! I am new to this!

2) I LOVE the frozen buttercream transfer idea, I had never heard of it before. I think that I will keep that as a backup! BUT, it is awesome to know there is something like that out there! Also the star tipped cake is awesome too!

tosha_e_1 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 11

ALSO....what is satin ice? I see that on youtube alot with the figurines also

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 11

Gumpaste dries hard as fondant does not it stays soft and thats why you can cover a cake with it. You can do figurines with either one. My Easter cake has a fondant bunny figurine. If your going to use fondant for a figurine you can add tylose powder to it and it makes it a little firmer. You can use wilton colors on both the only difference is if your coloring gumpaste make it a little darker than what you would like the color to be because it fades some what. Satin Ice is a company that makes fondant and other things. Check out there website for all the products. I believe they sell gumpaste also but I only buy fondant from them. You can't buy gum glue you make it with a little gumpaste mixed with water and it turns into a glue.

tosha_e_1 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 11

OK great! I think I understand now! Thanks so much! We shall see how it goes!!!!!!!

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 9:12pm
post #10 of 11

Make sure to post pics after! Good Luck!

Kathy99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy99 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 2:16am
post #11 of 11

Hi. I came across this and thought it might be helpful to give you ideas icon_smile.gif

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/super-mario-brother.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%