Fussy People

Decorating By Mandyjb74 Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 2:46pm by TexasSugar

Mandyjb74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandyjb74 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 10:48am
post #1 of 7

I love making cakes and make lots for family and friends just because i want to, but since people have been asking me to make cakes for them i have really gone off cake decorating. i only charge people for the cost of the ingredient, nothing for my time, electric or anything else because i enjoy doing it and its good practice for me. But recently i have found people being really fussy about what they want, asking for stuff that will take hours to do and changing their minds at the last minute and asking for even more.
I know that if you have never decorated a cake you don't realise how much time and effort goes into it but i also know if someone was giving me something for nothing i would be more grateful

am i just having a bad day or have others found this to be the case too???

6 replies
oliviaswarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliviaswarden Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 11:17am
post #2 of 7

You are not alone! People don't realize how bad mannered they are and then expect the world served on a plate to them. Not even a slight thank you after try to "fish" to see if everything came out...sheesh what nerve..don't let it get to you...if they continue like that..I would tell them go somewhere else and see what they say then when they pay more for very little/shotty work for the baked goods!

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 11:25am
post #3 of 7

Hi,
Have you heard the phrase "Give people an inch and they will take a mile"
Do you think they could be taking advantage because you are only charging for ingredients? Maybe you should start charging for the energy used and your labour, maybe if you add the charge for labour and tell them how long something takes, they'll soon realise.
I'm personally not selling cakes at the moment, but I used to have lots of friends who would take advantage all the time, until I realised (and guess what I haven't seen any of them for 4 years! icon_biggrin.gif )
Next time they ask for a cake with sparkle, glitter and one that sings and dances, say to them "Well thats gonna take me a few hours, I'll add it to the bill." icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 7

Either think of it as building your portfolio, or quit doing it. It's the only way to keep from being frustrated at your friends. If they're real friends, they will be there after the stream of free cakes dries up. Otherwise, you didn't need them anyhow.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 7

People will treat you however you allow them to.

Set boundaries when it comes to your cake donations and stick to those boundaries.

They'll only take advantage of you if you let them. If they're bold enough to nit pick...you need to be bold enough to put your foot down.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 7

The trouble with only charging for ingredients is that people get it in their heads that that is all your cakes are worth. They don't think about all the hours you put into it and what it SHOULD have cost them. They just think 'cheap cake'...and then because your cakes are so cheap, they go all-out wanting bigger & better cakes - because hey, it's not going to make a difference to the price, so why not?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 7

This is one of the reason I am against people just charging for cost, even if it is for friends and family.

They don't realize the time involved and while you love it, if you are spending all your time working on giving them something grand and they they don't appreciate it, or they change their mind, then you start to resent doing cakes. Instead of enjoying the process, you are annoyed, frustrated or resentful while doing the cake.

In my family they know my rule. You ask me for a cake, you pay for it, full price, and you get to pick the design. If I offer to do a cake, then it's free, and they get limited say in the design.

People treat you how you let them treat you. Stop letting them take advantage of your time and talent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%