Those Wires With Stars, Etc. As Cake Toppers

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 12:33pm by dawnybird

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 3:33am
post #1 of 9

I see a lot of cakes with bent or curled wires with balls or stars on top of cakes. What kind of wire is used and why don't they tear the cake with their weight? Thanks for any help you can give me!

8 replies
glais64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glais64 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 3:43am
post #2 of 9

This kind the wire you can buy in the store for cake, like Michael or other store for cake supplies.
You cam make this wire too. I hope help you.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 3:44am
post #3 of 9

I used floral wire when I put the stars on one of my cakes. I dipped the ends in chocolate and let it harden before I put it into the cake. It didn't rip at all. My stars weren't very heavy though. Geez, I wasn't very helpful....lol. I hope someone else has a better answer for you (=

hodges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hodges Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 3:49am
post #4 of 9

I have used my own curved wires as well as purchasing the pre cut wires, sorry, don't remember the guage on the wire I made, I just used what I had on hand for crafts icon_biggrin.gif
As far as the support : I put a straw in the top tier and I insert a bit of fondant rolled to a "snake" and then I put my wires in the straw. With the fondant in the straw so they don't move around and don't fall from their weight. The top of the straw is covered with decorations. Hope this helps !

LouisGean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouisGean Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 3:50am
post #5 of 9

Thank you for the information provided, it is very helpful to me

dawnybird Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks to everyone for all the great info! The straw with fondant in it sounds like a great idea! You were all a lot of help!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 9

Like hodges, I put my wires in a straw, but I fill the straw with melted chocolate or candy melts and stick the wires in that. When the chocolate cools, the wires are very stable.

EvieliciousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvieliciousCakes Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 9

you can find those wires at Michaels... i use them all the time and they just add a little cuteness/classy look to the cakes.. I usually put a little necklace pendant ( cakes for females) on one of them and my customers absolutely appreciate and love the little extra touch on the cakes!

dawnybird Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 12:33pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone! So nice of you all to respond. I think there will be wires in my future cakes!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%