Need Help With Sugar

Sugar Work By Tclanton Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 2:12am by mburkett

Tclanton Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to make ice cubes from sugar and it keep turning brown. I am using 1/4 cup light karo syrup and a cup of sugar. I am stirring constantly and using a stainless steel pot. I start out at medium temp and the second batch I decreased the temp and it still comes out brown. arg!!! Please help!!

6 replies
JanH Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 7
mburkett Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 7

It will turn a little yellow but if it's turning brown, it's being overcooked. 297-298 is the temp to cook too. I took it out and placed it immediately in a cool water bath to stop the cooking. Maybe that will help.

I think you may need some water in the recipie which will eventually evaporate. Try the recipie I gave in the earlier thread. It worked well for me.

Tclanton Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 7

Can it be made without the cream of tartar?

aligotmatt Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 7

I made some beer bottles (in my pics) and made clear gelatin ice cubes. The only downside is that they will take up colors if they touch them, I carefully lined the bucket with saran wrap, added the ice cubes, it was fine. Sat at room temp overnight just fine.

mburkett Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 7

The cream of tartar helps stabilize the sugar crystals. My first batch was 1 cup sugar, 1 cup syrup w/o cream of tartar and it did work, it just was more unstable and they absorbed the moisture in the air and became spotty & sticky. But for ice cubes, that's not a huge problem, looks like condensation. Store then in an air-tight bowl with silica packets if you have some.

mburkett Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 2:12am
post #7 of 7

So, how'd it go? Any better?

Quote by @%username% on %date%