How Do I Create A West Ham Badge For A T-Shirt Shaped Cake?

Decorating By emma_123 Updated 24 Sep 2011 , 8:18am by emma_123

emma_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_123 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 6

Hello,

I've been asked to do a football t-shirt for Friday with a West Ham badge on the bottom of it. I tried earlier today doing it in fondant but just couldn't get it looking right. I'd rather not use an edible image on rice-paper if possible (not sure I'll be able to get one in time either) but am stuck as to how else to create the image, especially when its going to be so small. Does anybody have any tips or done the badge before? Thank you!

5 replies
Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 6

You can print off a logo and using gumpaste/flower paste roll it very thin and cut it in sections then assemble it jigsaw like, Or just do the 2 hammers rather than the whole badge.
At a push you could use fondant/ sugarpaste with cmc/tylose in it to get it thinner if you have some.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 6

Or at a push print off an image and laminate it.Not Ideal but could be an answer,
Or just leave off the badge and have their name and age number on it as long as it is in their colours people will know what team it is.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 6

Have you considered using the frozen transfer method? Print out the image on paper and pipe it onto waxed paper. Freeze it, then transfer image from waxed paper to cake. (Make sure you pipe it backwards) HTH

idontknow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idontknow Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 6

I made a man u shirt cake for my brother (in my pics) and to make the logo and the badge i printed them out in the size i wanted, then placed a piece of grease free paper on top. i piped over the design using royal icing, and it turned out well, just make sure you do two of each design as RI is quite fragile so might break on handling. if you do this you'd want to do it asap to give it as much time to dry before moving it onto the cake - two days min.

emma_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_123 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 8:18am
post #6 of 6

Just wanted to come and say thanks for all your advice, I tried several ways in the end - I tried to trace over the badge and do a run-out but it was so fragile when I'd done the detail it just kept breaking so I ended up rolling out some fondant in the badge shape, leaving it to dry and then icing the badge on the top. It took a few attempts to get it right and I wasn't completely happy with it but it was better than my first attempt! I didn't have time to try the frozen transfer method lovestobake but I'm going to look into it as it looks like a useful thing to be able to do.

Thanks again for your advice, I've added a photo of the finished cake and the lady who ordered it was happy which is what matters!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%