Help Needed With Mmf

Baking By Cake_Karen Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 1:15pm by mayo2222

Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone. I need a little help with making MMF.

I have never made this and have been reading up on this and really fancy having a go.

Question: do I need to buy marshmellows and melt them down or can I just mix the ingredients that you need to make marshmellows together and make it from that?

Thanks in advance

6 replies
Cake_Karen Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 10:53am
post #2 of 7

Anyone able to advise me please

SparkleKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SparkleKat Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 11:28am
post #3 of 7

I have always melted the marshmallows in the microwave then added the sifted icing sugar. It's a very simple process.

faithc24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faithc24 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 7

This is the link I've followed from Day 1 (never altered) and have had great success in working with it. I use my kitchen aid mixer, grease it, put 3/4 of a 2lb bag of powered sugar in. (the other quarter goes on a greased table top.) Melt the marshmellows ( I use a 16oz bag of jet puff with 2 tbsp water) and pour them in, mix it on low scraping the sides occasionally. Dump it onto the powdered sugar on the table and knead in more sugar/shortenting until I'm happy with the consistency.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 7

I have tried with homemade marshmallows and it has never turned out like I would usually get from store bought marshmallows. So I havent gone back to homemade marshmallows. This is the mashmallow fondant recipe that I use and its super yummy and easy to work with.

but I use my hands, Im scared to burn out my KA mixer. icon_smile.gif

Cake_Karen Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much for your help. Will read up on it now icon_smile.gif

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 7

Normally you need to microwave the marshmallows first and then you put it in your mixer and add in the water and flavoring until all of the marshmallows are gone. Then I slow add in about 1/2-3/4 of the PS and then remove it from the mixing bowl and mix in the rest or close to the rest of the PS. Just make sure to grease down everything, including your hands.

I have read some people just using Marshmallow Creme and by-passing the melting of MMs

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%