Wow Buttermilk Or Sylvia's Original Yellow For Cupcakes

Baking By rlowry03 Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 2:12am by rlowry03

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:25am
post #1 of 3

These 2 were winners in the old yellow cake scratch off. Has anyone tried either of these for cupcakes. I'm still searching for that go-to yellow cupcake.

So far I've tried WASC, America's Test Kitchen Yellow Cake, and Billy's Vanilla Vanilla Cupcakes. I'm looking for something in between the America's Test Kitchen and Billys. I've got about 10 more recipes to go through...

2 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 9:10am
post #2 of 3

I absolutely hate SW for cupcakes. They don't expand and actually shrink a tiny bit in baking, just like the cake. If you set them side-by-side with other flavors, they are substantially smaller. And in a business, I can't justify $3.00 for this tiny thing. Thet even shrink in tulip liners, which I use exclusively except for photos. I use Warren Brown's with a bunch of changes.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 2:12am
post #3 of 3

I gave WOW a try. Not a winner! As far as flavor I found them very bland and "flour-y." I did a test couple to figure out how much batter to use in each cupcake. Then I filled the first dozen with that amount and they came out ok. They domed just slightly in the oven, then went flat and sunk a little as they cooled. The second batch had the same amount of batter. They domed slightly too, then shrunk down and pulled away from the liners. The third round shrunk, but had small explosions of batter around the edges of them and pulled away from the liners. Oh well. Still looking...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%