Dairy Free Buttercream

Baking By wannabecakery Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 3:17am by wannabecakery

wannabecakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabecakery Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:42am
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, so hopefully I won't commit some dorky forum "crime". LOL. My MIL asked me to make a cake for my SIL's 40th birthday party. The twist? She's dairy free. I always make buttercream with 2 sticks of butter!! IDK what to do about all that?? Can anyone give me some tips? I tried to google diary-free buttercream recipes, but it's so overwhelming and there aren't really any guarantees, right? It's just random recipe sites...I've been down that disastrous road before...

Someone recommended that I use sweetex, and add butter flavoring, but can you make the frosting straight with that and not get that slimy crisco film in your mouth?

Thanks for your help...in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:53am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabecakery

Someone recommended that I use sweetex, and add butter flavoring, but can you make the frosting straight with that and not get that slimy crisco film in your mouth?

Yes.

Rae

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:00am
post #3 of 7

We use high ratio shortening (Sweetex Z) and dairy-free margarine (Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks, found in most Whole Foods) as the base for our dairy-free buttercream.

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:02am
post #4 of 7

I've used Sweetex and Spectrum shortening (not together, but seperately for different dietary needs) without any butter or other dairy and the buttercream has come out fine.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 7

Margarine and soy milk with a little added flavoring should work.. shortening - optional

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2bake

Margarine and soy milk with a little added flavoring should work.. shortening - optional

Not all margarines are 100% dairy free:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

http://www.dairyfreeliving.com/FAQs.htm#Labeled lactose free

Vegan margarine would be 100% dairy free.

HTH

wannabecakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabecakery Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 3:17am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for your insight...I'm going to make a practice cake for my hubby to take hunting with his buddies...LOL...he can try out the results of your suggestions! I really appreciate your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%