"the Frosting Jumped Over Somehow" They Said....

Baking By pinklatte Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 10:43am by kel58

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:35am
post #1 of 18

I can laugh at this now and shake my head at it however at the time I was fuming. Customer ordered 48 cupcakes and I delivered it to them safe and sound. I asked if they wanted me to display them and they said no, they were taking them to another location. So I told them to make sure they set them flat so it doesn't fall over in their car and that the car is nice and cold because of the frosting. They starting walking to their van which was under the hot sun and I reminded them it had to be cold with the air conditioner on or the frosting cold melt and to be careful the cupcakes don't fall over.

Anyway I get a call less than 20 minutes later saying the frosting somehow jumped off the cupcakes onto the other cupcakes. I asked if they were careful driving and if the car was cold. They insisted it was, that the air was on for a while, etc., and if I could come over and please re-frost them. Angry as I was, I agreed. I cleaned up the cupcakes and re-frosted them and left. I could tell that the cupcakes had tipped over either when they carried them or something because the frosting did not melt down or flatten. It was smashed on the box and on the sides of the other cupcakes. I wanted to let them know that I could tell but there were a lot of people there and I wanted to be professional and keep the atmosphere of the party light and airy. They kept saying they had no idea how the frosting jumped over, lol, but in the end they thanked me for coming over and fixing the cupcakes. I can finally sort of laugh at it now.

17 replies
enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:52am
post #2 of 18

too funny......................You could add a clause to your contracts...."not responsbile for jumping icing"

pinklatte Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:55am
post #3 of 18

Lol, I should!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:36am
post #4 of 18

Well that's a new one! icon_lol.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:36am
post #5 of 18

Did you use "Mexican jumping vanilla beans" in your jumping frosting?

LOL couldn't resist!

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:56am
post #6 of 18

It's alive!!!! icon_lol.gif

pinklatte Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 4:48am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

Did you use "Mexican jumping vanilla beans" in your jumping frosting?

LOL couldn't resist!

Haha, that is an awesome response.... I wish I had used that!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:08am
post #8 of 18

Pinklatte, you have it half way done... now all you have to do is teach your frosting how to jump ON the cuppies and we can all throw away our pastry bags and spatulas. icon_lol.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 18

You did the right thing. They know they messed up and you saved them from having ugly cupcakes. They will remember your kind gesture.

If I messed up the cupcakes, I would have told what I did and ask to have them fixed at my expense. Oh well.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 18

One time during 100 degree weather in Tennessee, one of my wholesale restaurant accounts picked up six large (three layer, ten inch) Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Tortes. Four hours later she called to say the icing didn't hold up, I need to redo the cakes. I questioned her about following my instructions (flat surface, A/C in car) and she insisted the fault was not hers. I couldn't leave my shop so she brought them back.

While she waited for me to finish (they were quite a mess!) my law enforcement husband casually interrogated her. Cop style, she was tricked into telling him the truth: She had several errands to run so the cakes were in the trunk for those four hours until she'd returned to her restaurant.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

Pinklatte, you have it half way done... now all you have to do is teach your frosting how to jump ON the cuppies and we can all throw away our pastry bags and spatulas. icon_lol.gif

That's hilarious!

On another note, I wanted to compliment you, Pinklatte, for being able to handle this professionally and graciously (even though you were fuming) AND for being able to laugh about it after the fact.

It's so difficult to "let it go" when you have righteous anger on your side, but it sounds like both you and Mimifix were able to take the High Road. I wish you both tremendous success in your businesses--you both deserve it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 4:28pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

One time during 100 degree weather in Tennessee, one of my wholesale restaurant accounts picked up six large (three layer, ten inch) Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Tortes. Four hours later she called to say the icing didn't hold up, I need to redo the cakes. I questioned her about following my instructions (flat surface, A/C in car) and she insisted the fault was not hers. I couldn't leave my shop so she brought them back.

While she waited for me to finish (they were quite a mess!) my law enforcement husband casually interrogated her. Cop style, she was tricked into telling him the truth: She had several errands to run so the cakes were in the trunk for those four hours until she'd returned to her restaurant.

icon_eek.gif Holy Potential Food Poisoning, Batman!!! This chic RUNS a restaurant and she leaves food in her car for four hours!!!????

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:00pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:

icon_eek.gif People never fail to amaze me! icon_eek.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 8:09pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

icon_eek.gif Holy Potential Food Poisoning, Batman!!! This chic RUNS a restaurant and she leaves food in her car for four hours!!!????

Yup, can you believe it? This kind of incident makes me very nervous about eating out. I love bakeries and buy "non-hazardous" baked goods; but I don't often have a meal. Indydebi, you must have stories, too...

pinklatte Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 1:32am
post #15 of 18

Thanks everyone!

Mimifix, a bakery leaving their goods in the trunk of their car? Yikes!

If only I could teach my frosting to jump properly life would be so easy, that lazy frosting, hehe.

Thanks guys, there were people I did not know so I didn't want to look like a grumpy, crazy person in front of them.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 2:32am
post #16 of 18

The jumping icing is a very funny story but I can see how it was not funny at the time and you were very professional about it! I also cannot believe what people will do. I had handed off some cupcakes to someone after careful instructions about careful driving, laying them flat, having the air on, etc. only to see them place the cupcakes on the roof of their car...in July...and leave them there while they held a long conversation with someone in the parking lot! I wondered if I should say something but in the end just left them to it. Butter cream on top of a hot car? I mean, who would think that is an okay thing to do? Apparently a lot of people! icon_eek.gif

FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 7:25am
post #17 of 18

Oh gosh!

Well, next time you might want to have someone check each and every box you deliver and then sign that they are in perfect condition. You may also want to take a photo of the person checking the cupcakes--making sure the cupcakes and the person checking/receiving them are both in the photo.

This would prevent you from having to round up the loose frosting, and you'd be able to defend yourself to whoever hired you.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 10:43am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

You may also want to take a photo of the person checking the cupcakes

This way you will have a picture to put on your wall of shame or to put beside their name on the "no cake for you" list. icon_biggrin.gif
I does amaze me what people will do and say for free cake, or in this case, for your to simply come fix the one they screwed up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%