Help With Tier Sizes For This Cake Please

Decorating By Dayti Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 8:24pm by Dayti

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to quote on the below cake (originally designed by http://www.jacquespastries.com/index.html). She only needs 60 portions of cake (I use Earlene's chart). I would need to bake square cakes and carve them. But I can't figure out what kind of sizes I would need to start with...I mean if I start with a 10, 8 and 6" (76 portions on Earlene's chart) I think I would have to carve too much away. Although to be honest, there is a chance that these tiers are 6" high. Then there is the added issue of the tiers being offset. I am going to play with some dummies at the bakery tomorrow, but would love to hear any opinions in the meantime!

4 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 5

It looks like a 12, 10, and 6 in square cakes to me...i think stacking them offset like that will work because you will be making the base of each cake smaller when tapering it down like that! HTH!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

I mean if I start with a 10, 8 and 6" (76 portions on Earlene's chart) I think I would have to carve too much away. Although to be honest, there is a chance that these tiers are 6" high.

I agree that it looks like 10", 8", and 6" squares carved down two inches towards the bottom... 10" tapered to 8", 8" tapered to 6", and 6" tapered to 4".

Yes, those are 6" high... in comparision, the 6" square's top surface is at least as wide as it is tall.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 5

What an awesome cake! I think the 6 is a triple. I think the other 2 squares are doubles. If you choose to do a 6/8/10, then tell your customer that is the smallest 3 tier you can do and she will have to take the extra servings. And...if that 6" is a triple, you will have more than 76 servings.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all. I finally quoted her on a 6, 8, 10" set up, with all tiers 6" high. I don't know if I'll get the order, but if I do, I wish SPS made 4" plates!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%