Whats Your Favourite Cake Decorating Bit Of Kit?

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 8:26pm by jennifercullen

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 13

My mum asked me a couple of days ago if there's anything I want for Christmas, so I thought I could use this opportunity to get some bits from the USA that I'd like. The main thing I want is THE Mat! But other than that I have no idea. If I was just on ebay with an unlimited budget I would buy loads of stuff, but to just think of something I might want I don't know at all! A thought has just come to me for an airbrush machine or edible image printer, but I don't think I would use them often enough.

Is there anything you would recommend or wouldn't go without anymore? I have a load of different Round and a multisize square cake pans, I have basics like an icing smoother, modelling tools (plastic ones) and a little set for making flowers.. I would quite like a leveller, but don't trust any that. Would be in budget from what I have read on here!

12 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 13

Hi Jennifer!

wow a bakers christmas list! the couple of things I'd love is a good cake turn table, and a full set of piping tips like these in lakeland,

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/14264/Complete-Decorating-Set
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/11860/Icing-Turntable

oh and I'd love an airbrush machine, but I don't think I'd use it that much either! icon_biggrin.gif

jennifercullen Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 13

Ooh yes, definitely on the turntable I saw that a while ago. My friend is actually a buyer for lakeland too so she might be able to get it even cheaper lol. The piping set looks good too. Although I try to steer clear from piping words as much as I can if I had a load of different nozzles I could try different effects. Thanks for the ideas! icon_biggrin.gif

Kwajette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kwajette Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 13

I have several mats, different sizes and though I like them they come in 2nd to using clear vinyl. I use medium gauge vinyl for rolling out large amounts of fondant. Using a top and bottom of vinyl works best for me. Vinyl does not require shortening, corn starch or powdered sugar & if by chance I get called away the top layer of vinyl keeps the moisture in & prevents drying. I use a lighter gauge vinyl when rolling smaller amounts, especially when working with white. I cut shapes right on the vinyl & can store items within the vinyl so I can cut several pieces to work with at the same time. You should be able to get vinyl at any material store. In my opinion silicone mats are way over priced, so save that money and buy something else with it. Happy spendingicon_smile.gif

Kwajette Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercullen

Ooh yes, definitely on the turntable I saw that a while ago. My friend is actually a buyer for lakeland too so she might be able to get it even cheaper lol. The piping set looks good too. Although I try to steer clear from piping words as much as I can if I had a load of different nozzles I could try different effects. Thanks for the ideas! icon_biggrin.gif

I have several mats, different sizes and though I like them they come in 2nd to using clear vinyl. I use medium gauge vinyl for rolling out large amounts of fondant. Using a top and bottom of vinyl works best for me. Vinyl does not require shortening, corn starch or powdered sugar & if by chance I get called away the top layer of vinyl keeps the moisture in & prevents drying. I use a lighter gauge vinyl when rolling smaller amounts, especially when working with white. I cut shapes right on the vinyl & can store items within the vinyl so I can cut several pieces to work with at the same time. You should be able to get vinyl at any material store. In my opinion silicone mats are way over priced, so save that money and buy something else with it. Happy spendingicon_smile.gif

Kwajette Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 13

Kwajette Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 13

Jojoscakes1000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jojoscakes1000 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 13

Hi was wondering where exactly you got this vinyl from as I can't seem to find anything!!!

post #9 of 13

Hi was wondering where exactly you got this vinyl from as I can't find it anywhere!!!

post #10 of 13

Hi was wondering where exactly you got this vinyl from as I can't find it anywhere!!!

jennifercullen Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 13

Isn't the mat, I can't remember where its from its just called 'the mat' like a vinyl? I don't know I've heard lots about it but never thought about what its made of. I just assumed! That vinyl sounds good, I don't know where I'd get it round here but I will have a look in the DIY stores.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 7:57pm
post #12 of 13

I'm loving the tapits I bought recently. Oh, and an extruder, I use it all the time and it's great!

jennifercullen Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 8:26pm
post #13 of 13

I have 2 sets of tappits, well, clickstix lol. I also have an extruder, although would like one more like a gun that gives less pressure on your hands... if they even exist lol. I love my extruder. It means I dont have to pipe to have thin writing. And I'm making a whole spiderman head next week so I best make good friends with it I think otherwise I could have blisters by the end of it haha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%