How Do I Make This? (Tie Dye Cake)

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm by shuswapcakes

Britterfly  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a cake similar to this one for an 8 year old girl (she found this cake on here & wants it close to this)...

But I have a few questions....

1. How do I get the tie dye look in the fondant? Do I just knead several different colors together? ... Marbleize it?

2. Where can I buy some huge flower cut outs like the big flower in the picture? I think I already have the medium & smaller sized ones (the pink ones you get in the wilton student kit).

3. The number 9 - How can I make the number? Do I just print out a number in word, cut it out the paper, then cut the gum paste using the number I printed out?

4. The letters "Nicole" - I only have 1 set of letter cut outs & they are way smaller than the letters on this cake. Are there any bigger letter cut outs that I could buy? If so, where can I get them?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
 cakeflake80  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:08am
post #2 of 7

I don't know how to do the tie dye because I normally don't cover with fondant, but it looks like the #9 is a cookie cutter (the big letters/numbers set they sell at Michael's and AC Moore...you can get it for like $5 with a coupon). The big purple flower also looks like a cookie cutter that I have. Now that I think of it, just buy the big box that has different shapes and also letters/numbers. You'll get the blossom as well as the #9. I'm not really sure what she used for the name...seems large to be tappits and it's definitely not the wilton alphabet cutters.

lilcakebaker  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 5:19am
post #3 of 7

The large flower is from Wiltons 101 cookie cutter set that you can pick up at Wal-mart for ten dollars.

nicoles0419  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 5:36am
post #4 of 7

for all the cutouts I always print them off the couputer and trace and cut.

Cosima  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cosima Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 5:54am
post #5 of 7
 Cosima  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cosima Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 5:57am
post #6 of 7

And here is a video tutorial:

shuswapcakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 7

Here's a link where they talked about doing a tie-dye cake http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-651320-.html&sid=33f47837cae888cc7f4ce9abb414e888 I'm curious to try this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%