How Do I Make This? (Tie Dye Cake)

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm by shuswapcakes

Britterfly Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a cake similar to this one for an 8 year old girl (she found this cake on here & wants it close to this)...

But I have a few questions....

1. How do I get the tie dye look in the fondant? Do I just knead several different colors together? ... Marbleize it?

2. Where can I buy some huge flower cut outs like the big flower in the picture? I think I already have the medium & smaller sized ones (the pink ones you get in the wilton student kit).

3. The number 9 - How can I make the number? Do I just print out a number in word, cut it out the paper, then cut the gum paste using the number I printed out?

4. The letters "Nicole" - I only have 1 set of letter cut outs & they are way smaller than the letters on this cake. Are there any bigger letter cut outs that I could buy? If so, where can I get them?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
cakeflake80 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:08am
post #2 of 7

I don't know how to do the tie dye because I normally don't cover with fondant, but it looks like the #9 is a cookie cutter (the big letters/numbers set they sell at Michael's and AC can get it for like $5 with a coupon). The big purple flower also looks like a cookie cutter that I have. Now that I think of it, just buy the big box that has different shapes and also letters/numbers. You'll get the blossom as well as the #9. I'm not really sure what she used for the name...seems large to be tappits and it's definitely not the wilton alphabet cutters.

lilcakebaker Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 5:19am
post #3 of 7

The large flower is from Wiltons 101 cookie cutter set that you can pick up at Wal-mart for ten dollars.

nicoles0419 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 5:36am
post #4 of 7

for all the cutouts I always print them off the couputer and trace and cut.

Cosima Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 5:54am
post #5 of 7
Cosima Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 5:57am
post #6 of 7

And here is a video tutorial:

shuswapcakes Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 7

Here's a link where they talked about doing a tie-dye cake I'm curious to try this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%