Construction Cake

Decorating By lilcakebaker Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 8:03pm by lilcakebaker

lilcakebaker Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 6

As you can probably tell from my cake pictures I like to make my cakes look totally different from the normal stacked/sheet cake (unless other wise requested by the individual) The only problem is, it is sometimes hard to come up with an idea!

I have been asked to do a construction theme cake and had told the person that I was going to make the cake look as if the vehicles (i.e bulldozer,cement mixer) were trying to build the birthday boys name, Matthew..... any ideas as to how to do that? I usually rely on my hubby to build me some awesome stand or come up with an idea but his work has him away for the next 7 days icon_sad.gif

So, any ideas?

5 replies
JamAndButtercream Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,
so what if you make each letter of his name in gumpaste, so the letters can stand upright, and then make each letter look like its made out of a different building material, so like

M - made out of wood planks
A - made out of bricks
T - made out of cement (so it looks grey and textured)
T - made out of dirt (so it looks brown and textured)
H - made out of metal sheets (so it looks shiny and silver)
E - made out of slate (so it looks black and as if its nailed together)
W - made out of piping (so its like tubes and terrcotta in colour)

The vehicles could be dotted around his name and look like as if they are putting it together, the cement mixer, mixing the cement, a steamroller, a fork lift truck full of dirt etc.

Hope this helps! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 6

Here's one I did for my grandson. The idea is not mine originally, I saw it here on CC. I used toy construction vehicles. I had one "lowering" the "N" into place on the side of the cake. Would this idea work for you?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/5198211753/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/5198211743/in/photostream

lilcakebaker Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 6

Wow! thanks both of you! I will probably put the two ideas together! Im usually not the type to ask for any assistance (other than the hubby) but I might have to try this agian in the future when Im stuck!

Thanks, BOTH ideas have my creative juices flowing again.

JamAndButtercream Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 6

Hope you upload a pic when you're done! thumbs_up.gif

lilcakebaker Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 6

OH I will, itis due the 25th of Sept

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%