Decorating By specialtycakesbysara Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 5:40pm by mplaidgirl2

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:36am
post #31 of 50

SPS also!

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:39am
post #32 of 50

I used dowels then bubble straws for years when I lived in the City. but when I moved to the country and had to transport over country roads, I finally switched to SPS. I'll never go back. The peace of mind that I have with SPS is just too great to give up. Admittedly I'm less than pleased with the amount of cake I think I lose to the holes that the SPS posts leave behind (I just recalculate the servings so as not to shortchange the bride).

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:45am
post #33 of 50

No, you cut them before you put them in the cake. You measure with a sewing ruler one time, and cut all straws according to that one measurement.

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:54am
post #34 of 50

Has anyone ever tried the Cakestackers support system? It's awesome!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:03am
post #35 of 50

straws is all I have ever used, no disasters so far. I usually stack on site if more than 2 tiers. I buy my straws at smart and final, thick black ones, I guess they are like the milkshake straws. Our local Asian Market didn't have boba tea straws, but the one from S&F are practically the same just no funky colors

nanny4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny4 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:12am
post #36 of 50

SPS has worked wonderfully for me too! Thanks Leah thumbs_up.gif

nanny4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny4 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:12am
post #37 of 50

SPS has worked wonderfully for me too! Thanks Leah thumbs_up.gif

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:26am
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtycakesbysara

I think that I am going to try the bubble tea straw method. I tried dowels before, but just felt that I was putting too many and they are so hard to cut. Thanks so much for the input. icon_sad.gif

I cut my dowels with pruning shears which I keep in the kitchen. The work perfectly and effortlessly! And, no splintering. icon_smile.gif

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:27am
post #39 of 50

With the SPS system, how do you stack the 4, the 5 and the six tiered cakes? When I used SPS, it was with a 3 tiered cake I stacked on site. I was too scared to stack and deliver. I'm so used to having the dowel rod down the middle of all the tiers as a support. So are you saying, I won't need that support if I retry this system? The Coast System works the same way as SPS.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:34am
post #40 of 50

Dowels work ok, but they can displace the cake and cause the cake to push out. Bubble Tea Straw work well because the cake can go inside and are very strong, but for a wedding cake or any staggered tier cake I would go with the SPS. You just can't go wrong with it!!! icon_biggrin.gif Leah has instructions on how to use them if you need it - on a sticky! Thanks Leah! icon_biggrin.gif

specialtycakesbysara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtycakesbysara Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 1:51am
post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimboann

Quote:

I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and I found a package of "Milkshake Straws". They are a lot wider than a normal drinking straw. Is this the same thing??

The milkshake Straws are what I am talking about. That's what I use and have no problems. They are fatter and longer than regular straws. And I don't have to pay shipping. I just don't bake enough cakes to need a bunch. But hey whatever works.

Ok, good. They seem stronger than regular straws. On a 12 inch round (which is the bottom tier) how many straws would you put in?? Then do you still put a dowel through all 4 tiers??

Maishelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maishelle Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:32am
post #42 of 50

What is SPS? I use wooden dowels but am always interested in better ways to stack cakes. Thanks

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:05am
post #43 of 50
HamSquad Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:45am
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Under cake decorating in the forums:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

Thanks Karen421 for the older posts. I really enjoyed reading them. Thanks also to Leah. I first used SPS when I first joined CC, it was with my first cake post. I don't think I've used it since. I must try it again some day. For the smaller cakes, I really want to try the bubble straws.

shenglu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shenglu Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 7:03am
post #45 of 50

I have never had such a dense cake, which caused the split dowel. I have never heard of such things. Please tell me, I read wrong ..

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 4:40pm
post #46 of 50

If it's a small two-tier (10/6, etc), I'll use bubble tea straws, but anything more than that gets SPS. I had a major cake-tastrophe using dowels, so never again. SPS is totally worth the investment and the effort. I bake for family and friends so it's easy to get my equipment back, clean and sanitize it, and use it a couple of times.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:08pm
post #47 of 50

I use milkshack straws that I found at bed bath and beyond... Very similar to Bubble Tea straws. If its 3 tiers I use the really thick wilton plastic dowels. I love those things but they are a pain to cut

HamSquad Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:20pm
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaidgirl2

I use milkshack straws that I found at bed bath and beyond... Very similar to Bubble Tea straws. If its 3 tiers I use the really thick wilton plastic dowels. I love those things but they are a pain to cut

I've just starting using the wilton plastic dowels with the last cake I made. I read somewhere on the web to use a pvc cutter. Well, I made a bee-line to a hardware store to buy one. The pvc cutter worked great. I had a cake to lean with the wooden dowels recently, plus they hurt my hands now to cut them with the pruning shears. Also, I dislike when you cut the wooden dowels they shoot all over the place. icon_lol.gif

kimboann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimboann Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:21pm
post #49 of 50
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimboann

Quote:

I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and I found a package of "Milkshake Straws". They are a lot wider than a normal drinking straw. Is this the same thing??

The milkshake Straws are what I am talking about. That's what I use and have no problems. They are fatter and longer than regular straws. And I don't have to pay shipping. I just don't bake enough cakes to need a bunch. But hey whatever works.

Ok, good. They seem stronger than regular straws. On a 12 inch round (which is the bottom tier) how many straws would you put in?? Then do you still put a dowel through all 4 tiers??

I'm not extremely experienced so I usually read a lot on here and go with my gut on how many straws. I do however put a dowel all the way through. I feel safer that way. HTH.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:40pm
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaidgirl2

I've just starting using the wilton plastic dowels with the last cake I made. I read somewhere on the web to use a pvc cutter. Well, I made a bee-line to a hardware store to buy one. The pvc cutter worked great. I had a cake to lean with the wooden dowels recently, plus they hurt my hands now to cut them with the pruning shears. Also, I dislike when you cut the wooden dowels they shoot all over the place. icon_lol.gif

That is good to know! I have to go buy one before my next tall cake...
(Or just continue to make my husband do it)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%