Has Anyone Tried This Stacking Method??

Decorating By specialtycakesbysara Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 5:40pm by mplaidgirl2

specialtycakesbysara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtycakesbysara Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 50

I am making a 4 tiered stacked, fondant covered wedding cake and I came across this method using straws.....Has anyone tried this method? Just wondering how successful it is.... icon_eek.gif

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8089829/how_to_stack_and_cover_a_wedding_cake_pg2.html?cat=23

49 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 50

I used bubble tea straws in my staced book cake (3 tiers) and had no problems. I know sugarshack (www.sugaredproductions.com) uses them on all of her cakes in her DVDs.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 50

Every cake, every time.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 50

I always use this method. Hasn't failed me yet!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 50

Never!! I use the dowels. I don't trust the straws. Dowels have never failed me. But to each his own... icon_biggrin.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariacakestoo

Every cake, every time.

Ditto! Make sure you're using "bubble-tea" straws, not just regular drinking straws! There's a HUGE difference! You can find them online, or if you have a local asian market, you can probably find them there, and they're very inexpensive!

AnotherCreation Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 50

I used dowels before i started using bubble tea straws. I found that the bubble tea straws are easier to cut, sturdier than other straws, no chance of "splinters" from the wood, and the straws go thru the cake and don't displace it as the dowels do. Hope this helps. I would try both and see which one you like best. I swore by dowels til i used the bubble tea straws. Havent tried sps yet! Ha and the straws come in funky colors!! icon_biggrin.gif

kimboann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimboann Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 50

I haven't made many tiered cakes but when I have I've used the bubble tea straws with great success. i just saw them at Bed,Bath and Beyond.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 50

I use a combination of regular straws and skewers. I insert the straw first and cut to height, Next I insert a skewer in the straw so that it pierces cake board (foam core not plastic or wood). I provides great stability on cakes as tall as four tiers. This method has work very well for me thus far.

specialtycakesbysara Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 50

I think that I am going to try the bubble tea straw method. I tried dowels before, but just felt that I was putting too many and they are so hard to cut. Thanks so much for the input.

Also, if I do the bubble tea straw method, would you recommend putting all 4 tiers together and then transporting it?? I am just wondering because each tier will be covered in fondant and no border, which would normally idea any imperfections. icon_sad.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 50

Never ever..But like one person said...To each their own.I use the Wilton Hidden pillars with their plates..Almost like SPS.I just don't trust straws!!

LisaStephens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaStephens Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 50

I used the bubble tea straws on my last 3 tier cake and they worked wonderfully! I was skeptical at first too, but will never use another wooden dowel again.

AnotherCreation Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 10:28pm
post #13 of 50

I transport up to three tiers using the bubble tea straws. Four tiers i put a sharpened dowel down the middle so it goes into all the tiers and the board just in case. If there is no border i would probably just stack on site.

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 11:16pm
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCreation

I used dowels before i started using bubble tea straws. I found that the bubble tea straws are easier to cut, sturdier than other straws, no chance of "splinters" from the wood, and the straws go thru the cake and don't displace it as the dowels do. Hope this helps. I would try both and see which one you like best. I swore by dowels til i used the bubble tea straws. Havent tried sps yet! Ha and the straws come in funky colors!! icon_biggrin.gif

I know I read this wrong -- I have NEVER had a cake so dense that it caused dowels to splinter. I've never even heard of such a thing. Please tell me I read that wrong... icon_rolleyes.gif

chocolate_luvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate_luvr Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:26am
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtycakesbysara

I am making a 4 tiered stacked, fondant covered wedding cake and I came across this method using straws.....Has anyone tried this method? Just wondering how successful it is.... icon_eek.gif

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8089829/how_to_stack_and_cover_a_wedding_cake_pg2.html?cat=23

Hi specialtycakesbysara. Yes I have done this many times. This is I was taught to do in school icon_smile.gif

AnotherCreation Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 12:41am
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCreation

I know I read this wrong -- I have NEVER had a cake so dense that it caused dowels to splinter. I've never even heard of such a thing. Please tell me I read that wrong... icon_rolleyes.gif

When i first started and was using dowels it wasn't the cake that made the dowels splinter lol........ it was the fact that i sucked at cutting them and I was always afraid of a tiny strand getting in the cake. Thanks for the laugh though. I think it would be kinda hard to eat a cake that dense icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:28am
post #17 of 50

Okay thanks for clearing that up!! I've never had splintering problems and I just could not imagine what kind of cake would do that to a dowel!! icon_lol.gif

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:52am
post #18 of 50

I always use Boba tea straws in the large bottom cakes, and regular straws in the smaller cakes like the 6/8/10 sizes. I use a center wooden dowel, if the cake is 4 tiers or taller, and/or going to be moved by the caterer.

I have been using straws for years and years. I almost always put my cakes together on site as they are way too heavy for me to carry if they are stacked together.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:54am
post #19 of 50

SPS gal here.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 3:41am
post #20 of 50

Me too, Leah, thanks to you.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:42am
post #21 of 50

Thanks for all the info on this post. I have tried SPS, Coast, wooden dowels mainly, cake jacks and recently the Wilton plastic dowels. I really dislike using the wooden dowels now. Someone previously mentioned in this post that the bubble tea straws were seen at Bed, Bath and Beyond, I think it's time to try.

specialtycakesbysara Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 10:07pm
post #22 of 50

I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and I found a package of "Milkshake Straws". They are a lot wider than a normal drinking straw. Is this the same thing??

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 10:43pm
post #23 of 50

Probably not. They're called Boba Tea Straws. Amazon has a seller called Boba Tea Direct (something like that) that I get mine from. I usually get 5 or so bags, and it lasts a long time.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 11:08pm
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

SPS gal here.

SPS has never collapsed on me and dowels certainly have! No consistent luck worth tea straws either! Only SPS from here on out!

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 11:16pm
post #25 of 50

I don't get sps icon_sad.gif

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 11:43pm
post #26 of 50

How do you put a dowel thru four tiers of cake? Are the tiers not on cake boards when they're stacked? I've only done three tiers and stacked with dowels and it was fine but have always been curious how to get a dowel thru four tiers of cake and all the cake boards. Do you put holes of them before stacking? Thanks for the info.

kimboann Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:19am
post #27 of 50
Quote:

I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and I found a package of "Milkshake Straws". They are a lot wider than a normal drinking straw. Is this the same thing??

The milkshake Straws are what I am talking about. That's what I use and have no problems. They are fatter and longer than regular straws. And I don't have to pay shipping. I just don't bake enough cakes to need a bunch. But hey whatever works.

kimboann Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:19am
post #28 of 50
Quote:

The milkshake Straws are what I am talking about. That's what I use and have no problems. They are fatter and longer than regular straws. And I don't have to pay shipping. I just don't bake enough cakes to need a bunch. But hey whatever works.

kimboann Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:20am
post #29 of 50
Quote:

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:28am
post #30 of 50

Any of you guys using straws ever cut your cake with the straws in it? I can't get my straws out until I start cutting, but it's hard to cut next to the straws without cutting into them and it's a pain to pick them out! Is there some better way I don't know about? I think cutting around dowels is a whole lot easier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%