How Long Does A Cake Stay Fresh

Decorating By luckylibra Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 12:20am by luckylibra

luckylibra Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 15

I am curious how long a cake is good for before it is cut. My mom wants to pick up a cake from me on Wednesday to be eaten on Saturday... it is also traveling from Indiana to Iowa...8 hour drive. I was thinking if I covered in fondant it may stay fresh longer but it would also be heavier and not sure if that might hurt it.. would putting it in the fridge helpo?? any suggestions are appreciated.

14 replies
ValerieElizabeth Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 15

Putting it in the fridge would definitely help, but that seems like quite a trip. I can't recall ever driving a cake for 8 hours and then having it sit for a couple days.

The good thing is that it is your mom and not a client. What's the worst that could go wrong? icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

JSKConfections Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 15

I would cover it in fondant...I have made wedding cakes that I started decorating on a Wed to be eaten on Friday night and it was just fine. I was at the wedding and did the cutting and serving, so I know this for sure. But the cake didn't travel 8 hrs in a car! least the heat of summer is over, so it may be fine. Good luck.

luckylibra Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks, I am doing just a 1/4 sheet with a 8 inch round on top.. using SPS for that tier.. but still a little worried.. I may see if she can stack it there since it will be on the SPS plate anyway.. I have a cooler I could send with her to put it in and keep ice in a tupperware container with it so it the when the ice melts the water does not seep out... just lots of worries..

JSKConfections Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 15

Totally understood...I would be nervous too! lol icon_smile.gif I would think a one tier stacked would travel okay. I have take one on a 2 hour trip and it didn't move or shift at all and it was hot out. Kept the AC going in the car and it was fine.

Periperi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 15

I made a cake on a wednesday that was supposed to be eaten on a friday but plans were changed last minute and it wasn't cut into until Sunday. It was still super fresh and tasty. Covering it in fondant will help lock in the freshness.

CWR41 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 15

I think most cakes taste best and are more moist on day 4 or 5.

It will start to grow mold when it's about 2 weeks old at room temperature, so it will still be fresh in just 3 days.

luckylibra Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 15

thanks so much.. I feel much better now.. icon_smile.gif Love CC you are all so helpful

Coral3 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 15

Depends entirely on your recipe. Some cakes will be absolutely great for anything up to two weeks (eg some mud cakes), whereas most light sponge cakes need to be consumed within 24/48 hours of baking. And then theres a whole lot of cakes between.

scp1127 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:40am
post #10 of 15

Those little fake ice packets work wonders in these situations. I get them in Walmart in the sporting goods dept. Get a cardboard box. Put a heavy towel in it. Layer it with about 8 to 10 of those packets. Add a thin towel on top. Place the cake on the towel. Cover the cake box with a towel or little blanket. You want to keep the cold on the cake and make the packets last. I did this for a 4 hour trip and the IMBC and FBC were still too cold to serve. Hours, later, they were still too cold. I had to put them out in the kitchen to make them the best temp to eat. I was at a family reunion outside.

For the freshness, freeze your layers for a few hours to overnight. Wrap when slightly warm. This will make them a little more moist. Moist cakes always age a little better.

monet1895 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 6:18am
post #11 of 15

2 weeks ago I flew with a 3 tiered fondant wedding cake from Kansas City to hot, humid Ft. Lauderdale, with a layover in Atlanta, well over 8 hours of travel time! I used the insulated, reusable grocery bags that are designed to get your cold groceries home. Each tier was thoroughly chilled before we left, and then I put each one in a cardboard cake box, and then I double bagged each tier (I found 2 different types of bags, so I used both!). As soon as we got to our friend's condo we unpacked the cake, and it was still cold. Cake travelled beautifully!

scp1127 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:07am
post #12 of 15

Monet, good to know. I used the towels on the big box, but the others, I used coolers. The insulated bags are a great idea without the bulk.

monet1895 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:25am
post #13 of 15

Yes, hope it helps someone! Obviously had to come up with an option that would fit under the seats in front of us, while being gel and liquid free. We kept our fingers crossed, and voila! Poor cake then had to live in a fridge at the groomsmen's pad, and then survive the downpour at the poolside reception. Thank god for the tent! I was never so relieved to see a cake cut and served!

scp1127 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:32am
post #14 of 15

I just put them on my grocery list. I would have never thought it would keep them that cold. Thanks again.

luckylibra Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 12:20am
post #15 of 15

You guys are soooo awesome!!!! I will get some of the freezer bags and ice packs tomorrow.. that is so much easier than what I was going to do.. I can put the boxes in the freezer bags then set them on top of the towel with freezer packs under them in a box... double sure it will stay cold... yippeee... they are going to put them in the fridge when they get to their destination so it should be just fine.. I have decided not to stack either.. mom can stack them when they set them out.. icon_smile.gif Thanks again for all the wonderful tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%