Halp With Planning For This Wedding Cake Today!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 18 Sep 2011 , 4:16am by JanH

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 19

So, i am aspiring after this cake today: http://tinypic.com/r/1045ibr/7

I always get stuff like this mixed up and make it harder and myself than it needs to be icon_redface.gif

I have to assemble this cake at the venue since it's about an hour away and I don't trust myself with it set up. icon_rolleyes.gif

do i put the ribbon on and do the scrollwork on the tiers before I leave!?
OR do the ribbon and scrollwork after I assemble the cake!
?

any advice is appreciated! I don't know if I really want to put on the ribbon before I go cuz i know it's going to soak up the butter, but is it worth it to even try to do the scrollwork before I set up!?

THANK YOU!

18 replies
CalhounsCakery Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 19

I would do the scroll work first. At least than if you have to fix something, there's lots of time and less pressure.

JSKConfections Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 19

I agree do the scroll work first...I have always had the cakes complete, even with the ribbon, so I'm not sure about the ribbon...be sure to have a repair kit with you just in case! How do you adhere your ribbon? I always use long hat pins with a pearl at the end and put usually 3 vertically to hold the ribbon
in place. HTH Good luck!!

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKConfections

I agree do the scroll work first...I have always had the cakes complete, even with the ribbon, so I'm not sure about the ribbon...be sure to have a repair kit with you just in case! How do you adhere your ribbon? I always use long hat pins with a pearl at the end and put usually 3 vertically to hold the ribbon
in place. HTH Good luck!!

oh! this is a good way...I was just going to tape it cuz it's buttercream and i didn't want to press them in. Thanks! i always take a repair kit icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

I would do the scroll work first. At least than if you have to fix something, there's lots of time and less pressure.

ooooO pressure is key and I hate that...especially when my husband is around icon_lol.gif he's my help for the day. yay!

THANKS for the quick responses!

rlowry03 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 19

I'm sure you're already on the way with this cake. I'm sure it turned out lovely. One tip I read awhile back was to iron wax paper over the back of ribbon to keep it from absorbing grease. The wax transfers from the paper to the ribbon. Personally I would do the ribbon at the venue because I feel like any damage is likely to be at the base of each level and the ribbon would cover it up once stacked.

JSKConfections Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 19

I love using the hat pins, they are long and with the big pearl on the end, they look elegant and finished. Easy to remove, and you do not have to push hard to hold, especially in butter cream cake. I usually tell someone about the pins, or leave some instruction on paper on how to disassemble cake for cutting, and include info about the pins. I have typed up instructions I have copied and include with delivery. Good Luck!!

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowry03

I'm sure you're already on the way with this cake. I'm sure it turned out lovely. One tip I read awhile back was to iron wax paper over the back of ribbon to keep it from absorbing grease. The wax transfers from the paper to the ribbon. Personally I would do the ribbon at the venue because I feel like any damage is likely to be at the base of each level and the ribbon would cover it up once stacked.

nope, don't have to leave till like 3!

you are so right about damage to the bottom...thanks! thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 19

OMG! so today i tried to do a glue stick on the back of my ribbon....TOTALLY WORKS! it dried flexible and didn't seep through or make the ribbon darker! YAY!

ReneeFLL Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

OMG! so today i tried to do a glue stick on the back of my ribbon....TOTALLY WORKS! it dried flexible and didn't seep through or make the ribbon darker! YAY!

Did you cover the back of the ribbon with the glue stick so the grease would not soak in or did you glue wax paper to the back?
TIA

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Did you cover the back of the ribbon with the glue stick so the grease would not soak in or did you glue wax paper to the back?
TIA

i am just using the glue stick on the whole back of the ribbon...not gluing anything to it! it's drying as if there WAS wax paper on the back...but way easier!

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 19

I'm sorry, but putting glue on the back of a ribbon that will be against the icing of a cake is NOT food safe.

Again, we come to the difference between non-toxic and edible/food safe.

There are ways to do this that ARE food safe. Applying glue is NOT.

You can buy acetate cake collars/wax paper/food safe cellophane, cut them to the width of the ribbon, apply to the cake and then put the ribbon over it. Food safe. Problem solved.

Rae

JSKConfections Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 19

Exactly what I was thinking...glue against the cake can't be good.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 19

I agree. Using a glue stick on the ribbon doesn't seem like a good idea. I mean, I know half the kids in my class in kindergarten ate glue paste off of the sticks and the glue sticks are probably non-toxic but I just don't like the idea of putting the glue up against the cake.

step0nmi Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:02am
post #15 of 19

oh seriously! icon_rolleyes.gif i can't believe i came back to this...if it's ok to use a glue stick. It's a glue stick! plus, i let the glue DRY! it's the same as wax to me! but whatever...you guys can hmmm and hawww over it all you want. the ribbon was literally not even touching the cake cuz i still had to put extra frosting on the already crusted bc, and it maybe might have been on the cake for 30 mins tops. but, i don't have to justify my idea...i think it was a good idea and no one is going to be harmed.

BlakesCakes Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:18am
post #16 of 19

Well, I responded to the post because I don't think it's a good idea and I don't want readers to think that it's going unchallenged.

I also posted food safe solutions for the problem so that readers will know that there are other, more acceptable options.

Glue is not the same as wax.

One of the reasons that taped floral wires shouldn't be put directly into cakes is because of the glue in the floral tape flaking off and becoming gooey after contact with the moisture & acids of the food.

Live & Learn.
Rae

step0nmi Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:36am
post #17 of 19

well, for a cake that was ordered 2 weeks in advance and with limited time to create it, plus the fact that the ribbon is non-edible and the thing i did to the back didn't actually touch the cake because I put more frosting on it and it was only going to sit there for 30 mins...it's fine. i don't care what anyone thinks.

step0nmi Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:47am
post #18 of 19

when working with cake as an artistic medium i think everyone should be open to new ways to create an effect. for example, I would not snub my nose at someone that used a balloon on a cake...but i definitely don't like the smell of latex even though it's safe/used at the drs. it does matter to be conscientious of what you are using to create cakes or put onto your cake, but lets just realize that not everyone has the same resources or education as one cake professional to other pros, to other amateurs, to others just starting out.

JanH Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:16am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

Ladies and Gentlemen of CakeCentral:

Over the last month or so there has been an unsettling increase in the volume and frequency of petty bickering in the forums.

This behavior is completely unacceptable and against the spirit of Cake Central.

The moderators and administrators are fed up with trying to keep up with this ugliness and trying to keep the peace.

Quite frankly, Heath and I are disgusted with the behavior of a handful of members and we are putting an end to it.

Consider this message fair notice to everyone. The leniency is over. We are going to start banning any member we feel is starting problems, provoking others, making snide remarks, or insulting other members.

I don't care if we have to ban 1000 users if that is what it takes to get this community back to focusing on cakes instead of inter-personal drama.

We are all supposed to be here to talk politely about cake, support each other, and lend a helping hand.

If you don't agree with someone, by all means.... disagree, but do it respectfully.

If someone asks for your constructive criticism, then give it... constructively.

If you find yourself unable to write a post, PM, or response in a constructive, encouraging or supportive way then you need to walk away.

Remember, this community is based on values of caring, and generosity of spirit.

Focus on what you share in common, learn from what makes you different, support each other through struggles, and celebrate each others' success.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-661107-acceptable.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%