Making Cakes In Cups

Baking By CSIMisty Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 1:10am by theresaf

CSIMisty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSIMisty Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:06am
post #1 of 21

Does anyone know how it's done? Does anyone have a recipe? I have looked online and can't find anything that I'm looking for. There are over 85+ pages here and the "search" didn't return anything either.

TIA!

CSIMisty

20 replies
theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:19am
post #2 of 21

Hi! What do you mean? Like baking in an oven-proof coffee cup?

CSIMisty Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:01am
post #3 of 21

Yes, something like that. I have seen a picture or two but I can't find them. Maybe it would be easier to use cupcakes and just insert them into mugs and decorate? That would take care of the cups in the oven problem?

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:17am
post #4 of 21

You can also do cake shooters or cake shots. Alternate cake and icing/filling in a shot glass.

theresaf Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:23am
post #5 of 21

I've made cakes in oven proof coffee cups, but u have to make sure they say oven safe! I bought a white set (with a 20 percent coupon) at bed bath beyond - a full size cup set and espresso set. Not a mug but a nice shaped cup. It's more batter for the full size cup than a cupcake so you have to watch the oven for doneness. And I use vegetable spray inside the cup. No problem. Ive used chocolate cake, tried it frosted and unfrosted with a white frosting ring around the top. I haven't posted any pix but Ive also used a piece of a chocolate covered preztel for a handle! I'm still fine tuning this idea but for me coffee and cake in the same package is perfect!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:28am
post #6 of 21

You bake the cupcakes in their liners and place them in the cup. Otherwise you will have guests trying to scoop the cupcake out of the cup - very messy..

vnas5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnas5 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:08am
post #7 of 21

This website has some ideas for cakes in jars, but I would think you could just do the same in cups. hth

http://glorioustreats.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweetness-contained-cupcakes-in-jar.html

CSIMisty Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 21

[quote="theresaf"]I've made cakes in oven proof coffee cups, but u have to make sure they say oven safe! I bought a white set (with a 20 percent coupon) at bed bath beyond - a full size cup set and espresso set. Not a mug but a nice shaped cup.

Thank you theresaf! That's what I'm after. Can you post a pic or two whenever you get a chance? I thought I had read that it could be done in a cup like a coffee cup. The woman then sold the cake and mug or cup for X amount. I thought it was an unusual but cute idea.

CSIMisty Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 21

vnas5: Thank you for the link!

theresaf Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 21

CSIMisty, I'll be happy to post what I have but it will prob be Monday because I don't think I have it on my home computer...only my office!
Theresa

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 21

Try lakeside dot com. Search for cakes and they have a cake n cups kit. They are cute and could give you some ideas.

CSIMisty Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 21

Thank you for the website links! I think they are cute and somewhat easy to do. I think I'll be baking sometime soon.

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 21

I've baked cake in small canning jars. When I bake them I put the jars in a 10x13 pan with about and inch of water in the bottom. Never had a problem with breaking. I have instructions and pictures on my blog if you want to take a look.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 21

You could try 5 Minute mug cake.
Done in the microwave...

CSIMisty Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:38pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by olleharr

I've baked cake in small canning jars. When I bake them I put the jars in a 10x13 pan with about and inch of water in the bottom. Never had a problem with breaking. I have instructions and pictures on my blog if you want to take a look.

Now that sounds like an interesting idea- I'll check out your blog and get back to you. icon_smile.gif Thank you!

theresaf Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:31pm
post #17 of 21

Misty, I've uploaded my coffee cup pix here . This is actually the best photo I have.   http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2158574
If this link doesn't work, just look at the latest photo (so far) in my gallery. Let me know if you try it too! Theresa

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:47pm
post #18 of 21

One day, just messing around with new ideas, I made strawberry daiquari cake baked in cocktail glasses. They turned out really good!!! I was waiting for the glass stems to shatter but they didn't.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 5:53pm
post #19 of 21

I make cupcakes and then put them in cute teacups and decorate them. I'll try to attach a picture but I am not sure if it will attach since I have been having problems uploading pictures on here for a while. If it doesn't attach, look in my photos. They are in there. Or actually... here is the link to them:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1895544

CSIMisty Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 12:36am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresaf

Misty, I've uploaded my coffee cup pix here . This is actually the best photo I have.   http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2158574
If this link doesn't work, just look at the latest photo (so far) in my gallery. Let me know if you try it too! Theresa

I LOVE the heart with chocolate and the coffee cake!!

theresaf Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 1:10am
post #21 of 21

Thanks Misty! It is soo nice to hear/read!! The heart is cake covered to look like a candy box ( I got the idea from a Bakerella blog and went from there!) as a little something for my husband. I made a smaller candy box for my niece too. I definitely want to do the coffee cup again but I haven't had the chance because of new ideas I have. I did make a large coffee cup cake for my dad for Father's Day but that wasn't an individual serving!! For that one I used a flavored pudding to look like coffee in the cup! I would use that idea in an individual serving too. Please post what you try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%