First Impression Baby Mold

Decorating By rlowry03 Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 7:33am by jennifercullen

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:09am
post #1 of 9

Now that I've learned these adorable babies are from a mold and not hand done I'm tempted to try them. Can someone explain to me how this mold works? Is it a mold I have to use poured chocolate or something in, or does it somehow work with gumpaste and fondant?

8 replies
kharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kharvey Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:24am
post #2 of 9

The one I saw was a silicone mold that you use with fondant or gum paste. Here is a link to a site where you can buy them along with a video tutorial. I really want to try them to, but haven't ordered them yet. http://www.winbeckler.com/Silicone-Baby-Mold-Curled-Up-Baby-8p13656.htm

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:28am
post #3 of 9

You can order it from Globalsugarart and when you make one just mix some gumpaste and fondant together with a little color to make it whatever skin color you need. Be sure to roll the gumpaste into a smooth ball and then press it into the mold making sure it fills up all the spaces. Pop it into the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes and then take it out of the mold and allow it to dry thoroughly. You can use dust to color the hair and an fine paint brush to make the little half moon shape for the closed eyes. Some make a little diaper and knit cap for the baby.
I hope this helps you out,
evelyn

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:31am
post #4 of 9

You can use fondant, gumpaste, or melted chocolate with these molds. Whatever suits your purpose. I usually use fondant and pop them in the freezer for awhile before I unmold them. Then let them dry. After dry dust them with petal dust to color the hair and shade the skin.

rlowry03 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:05am
post #5 of 9

Thank you so much! That video was exactly what I needed. I couldn't figure out how the mold worked. I've only worked with ceramics molds so I had it stuck in my head that it must be 2 sides that fit together but I couldn't figure out how to get 2 halves of a baby to come out that smooth!

Is there a reason I would use fondant vs gumpaste or a mixture of the 2? I'm not entirely clear on when to use gumpaste.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:06am
post #6 of 9

I used it for this baby topper: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2093290/2093292

I used a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mixture for more stability.

rlowry03 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:19am
post #7 of 9

So adorable! I can't wait to get one and try it. There's a baby shower coming up, but I don't think the mold will get here in time. Perhaps for a cake after the baby's born.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:51am
post #8 of 9

I have made a few of these babies, with fondant mixed with tylose. I love them.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 7:33am
post #9 of 9

I found when I did it with my mold that I had to press smaller bits into the facial area and feet areas of it because otherwise I was getting babies with no nose and toes and things! Then I had to build it up with bigger bits so that I could squash them all together and not have lines from different bits of gumpaste if that makes sense?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%