Need Help Please!!!!

Decorating By kellyg Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 1:16am by kakeladi

kellyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyg Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 12:21am
post #1 of 4

Hi!
I had to decorate a babyshower cake today for a party tomorrow. I baked my cakes last night, and wrapped them in the fridge overnight. This morning when I went to trim the tops, they looked undercooked in the very middle!! I was horrified!!! I used a box mix (yeah, I know...I don't ususally, but the lady said that was fine by her). The mix had pudding added in. I haven't really used that kind before, so I don't know if it was truely undercooked, or just too moist after sitting in the fridge all night. The tops, bottoms, and sides were fine. Out of the 4 cakes I baked, only a couple had this problem.

It was WAY too late to bake more cakes, so I took a knife and cut out the very middle of the problem layers, and filled it with icing. It wasn't a large hole, just maybe the size of a 50 cent piece. The cake decorated up fine, and didn't crumble or make a mess.

I am SO SO worried about this cake!! If it was undercooked, wouldn't it have been too soft to decorate?? It was only slightly gooey, but still solid. Should this be OK?? icon_sad.gif

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has had this problem! Was cutting the center out the best way to go?? If I had baked it again, it would have been like rubber.

Thanks!

3 replies
JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 12:39am
post #2 of 4

If you cut out the gummy part and filled with frosting, I think it will be fine. Do you use a toothpick to test or do you use the touch method of seeing if the cake is done? If it frosted up fine, you should be okay. HTH

kellyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyg Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 12:56am
post #3 of 4

It did frost up great! I used a fork to poke through the middle of the cake. Nothing came out on it, so I assumed it was done. I have never had a problem like this, so I guess I should have poked the fork all the way down to the bottom. I normally have a long thin wooded dowel to use, but misplaced it. I've used a fork a bunch of times, and it usually works fine. Maybe it was because of the pudding in the mix?

I'm just scared it will be horrible/not safe to eat. The top that I trimmed did taste good though!

Thank You!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:16am
post #4 of 4

The pudding in the mix should not have caused any problems.
Have you check your oven lately? Is it right on temp? I bet it is a little off.
The cakes will be just fine. Don't mention it to anyone and no one will know the difference.
Next time make sure the oven is right on temp and/or give the cakes a couple more minutesw to bake. Oftne what I do is turn the oven off and let the cakes stay in the closed oven for another 5 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%