For Those With Edible Image Printers....

Decorating By sweettooth622 Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 5:17pm by icingimages

sweettooth622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 15

Hi ~ After doing my most recent cake, I realized that I REALLY need to get a printer that uses edible ink. I found a list of printers online that accept edible ink, but there are SO many. icon_cry.gif
I'm just a Hobby Baker, so I can't spend a ton of money on one, but my questions to you fellow cakers who have printers already are:
Which one do you have? Are you happy with it? and which ones should I steer clear of?
Thank you!

14 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 15

Check the Icing Images forum. There's tons of info there.

Comerio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Comerio Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 15

I don't know how they fair comparatively.. but I have the Epson Stylus C120.. and it goes thru edible ink like it's going out of style. It prints great, but there must be a model that is easier on the ink (and on the wallet).

Comerio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Comerio Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 15

After giving it a little more thought.. You may want to consider using pre-printed icing sheets from Lucks. They have hundreds of designs and patterns.. and since you don't plan on using a pricey printer all that much, this may be an option worth considering. They are at www.lucks.com

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 15

I have a Canon IP4700. LOVE IT!!!!

Here is a picture of a cake I did with it...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2154470

You can use any brand printer, but Canon is the best for edible printing.

HTH

Michael

CVB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CVB Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 15

I have a Cannon as well, it prints great! Any cannon should work, I live in Canada so I order from Flour confections. My advice is to really check the ink cartridges first to see what is available and the cost.

I love my printer, I didn't know if I would use it. It really opens up different options. Well worth it for me.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 15

I too have a Cannon (MX700) and I love it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:12am
post #8 of 15

Canon ip3600 here (from icingimages dot com) and I love it and them!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 15

Please see my post at http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-730485.html
I am camping right now and only have Internet access on my iPhone so I will write more later to better answer questions for you.

sweettooth622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:13am
post #10 of 15

Wow, thank you all for your input icon_smile.gif I think I have my choices narrowed down to a Canon or a Canon ha ha!
I'm thinking the Canon MG5220 because it's wireless AND because I can use the spongeless edible ink cartridges in it (according to another post I read by IcingImages). Hopefully, that's still the case.
I'll be in touch to order the ink once I make up my mind about the printer.
Thanks again!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:52am
post #11 of 15

The canon MG5220 is a great choice and the gold label inks from icingimages are the best IMO. I've tried other brands and they just don't measure up. I also prefer the premium frosting sheets from icingimages to the other brands. I've never had an issue of them coming loose from the backing during printing as some of the other brands do.

OrionsLola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OrionsLola Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 15

I have the Canon IP3600 I love the printer but would love to find a software that is more than just import your pic, I would like to add different pics to do a number of pics for on cupcakes any ideas?

icingimages Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 11:27pm
post #13 of 15

The ip3600 is a great printer! If you are using our icing sheets, you can go on to iiPrint to print different pictures on different cupcakes. You can change mats as well on that program. If that is not what you are looking for, you can use any graphics software to print and create your pictures.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 15

Cool! I had no idea! I will have to play around with it for my next order...

icingimages Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 5:17pm
post #15 of 15

You can use iiPrint now!!! You dont need to wait!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%