Buttercream Roses!! Help!!

Decorating By rozedcj Updated 16 Sep 2011 , 4:16pm by rozedcj

rozedcj Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 5

i made butter cream roses to go ontop of a cake and when i just went to check on it the roses had white spots on them! are they going bad? the recipe is made from butter shortening water powdered sugar and vanilla extract! i used cream cheese icing to cover the cake with and decorated it with the flowers. Somebody please help i dont know what to do!

4 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 5

When you say white spots, are you saying that the roses look speckled? Did you color them? How much food coloring did you use? It could be that the coloring is separating out, which can happen if you use a lot of color.

Unlimited Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 5

I don't think the roses are going badI don't know how old they are, but BC roses that are air dried can last a very long time. What color are the roses? The white spots are probably just powdered sugar lumps or most likely shortening that didn't mix completely.

Is your cake iced with cream cheese icing in the refrigerator? I'd be more concerned about thatdepending on your recipe, it might only be good for three hours total outside the fridge.

TexasSugar Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 5

Spots in buttercream can be the colors reacting to something in your water.

Purple has a tendency to spot blue, pink and blue will spot white.

Do you have any left over buttercream? If so go look at it and I bet it has spots too. The spots appear about 30 mins to an hour later. You can try using bottle water or milk to help keep it from happening. You can also just make your buttercream early, once it spots you just stir and use. It doesn't respot again.

Some people will say it is the salt that causes the spots, but I don't buy that because half the time when someone has spots they didn't use salt in the icing. I also don't think it is lumps of powder sugar or crisco, because not all colors spot.

rozedcj Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 5

i made them at ten oclock last night and have never ever had this problem before. i made the cream cheese last night as well. its still cool to the touch i had it refrigerated over night. unfortunatley we dont have any room in the fridge for it! But thanks guys for all of you help i greatly appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%