Need Some Encouragement

Decorating By cakecreationsbyleah Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 10:09am by JamAndButtercream

cakecreationsbyleah Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 11

Days like today make me want to NEVER decorate again icon_sad.gif

I am doing a 3 tier, bottom 2 layers are stacked, and top layer is seperated buttercream cake. This is for a dear friend mine's wedding TONIGHT at 7:30pm. Yesterday I had each layer frosted, smooth and the simple design work on them. I dowel rodded them, and began stacking and that's when it all went wrong. I have made several stacked cakes and am just not sure what the problem was. My buttercream was SUPER droopy at this point. So, needless to say I was a bit emotional - especially since I had been working on it since about 4:00 and it was nearly 11:00pm at the point the buttercream started to droop. In order to try to save it, I decided to take apart the cake, scrape all the icing off and re-do.

Stayed up until 3am last night, and was up at 5:30am to begin working on it again. I ended up having to trash by bottom tier because by handling it so much It was starting to fall apart and I didn't want to risk it.

In order to do it in plenty of time (I work full time at my church) I am headed to go purchase (gasp) a 2-layer 10 inch round unfrosted from Sams.

I have decided to not go with the buttercream. Since they are not actually "clients" and this cake is free of charge I made a last minute decision to do fondant (which is what I have most experience in and believe I do the best) and know they are happy with whatever.

So, here I am.... waiting and praying that it all turns out okay. I am headed to sams in 30 minutes to pick up the 10 inch rounds, then will cover it with fondant, make royal icing, stack, pipe the decor on the cake, fill the tier with flowers, etc.

PLEASE send me some encouragement my way. I have to get all of this finished in 4.5 hours (when I have to pick up my child from school) Feeling pretty down right now.

10 replies
luntus Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 11

hugs coming your way... stay strong!

Lenette Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 11

You can do this! You made the best decisions you could given the circumstances so just breathe deep and proceed. Remember - you can't let the cake push you around! I always laugh when I think of that line.

Best to you and try to get some sleep if you can. Sending you hugs, we all have days like this. icon_smile.gif

JamAndButtercream Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 11

Hope you did it! can you update when you can?

Hope you pulled it off! thumbs_up.gif

cakecreationsbyleah Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 11

Thankfully there was no disaster. I am happy to say I made all of the right decisions and the cake turned out really nice. I guess I will keep decorating after all.

Thanks for all your support.

ljchevygirl Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 11

Beautiful cake! You did a great job. Sorry you had so many issues.

JSKConfections Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 11

The cake is beautiful!! I know that stress when it all goes wrong for no apparent reason! Glad it all turned out! icon_smile.gif

enoid Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 11

Will you be putting a picture on CC? I don't have Facebook, but would love to see your cake. icon_smile.gif

Vanessa7 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 11

Your cake looks beautiful and I'm sure your friend loved it. So sorry you had that problem. Sure seems huge while you're in the midst of them but so glad you had the option of buying that bottom layer. Keep your chin up, baking pans hot, and decorating tools moving!

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:55am
post #10 of 11
Originally Posted by ljchevygirl

Beautiful cake! You did a great job. Sorry you had so many issues.

No photo uploaded, yet. OP was working on a round cake, not square.

JamAndButtercream Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 10:09am
post #11 of 11

Glad you pulled it off! party.gif

I'd love to see a pic! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%