Spraying Cakes With Water ??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 4:21pm by Iggy

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Cakers!

I have read that you can spay your Butter Cream iced cake with warm/hot water and go smooth with your paper towel to get completely smooth icing.

Do any of you do this?

I have seen cakes iced in butter cream that have a wet shine to them. Im thinking that maybe this is why. The icing is super smooth with no air.

Just curious.

Michael

11 replies
mrslivvix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrslivvix Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 12

I always dip my spatula in a glass of water and tap off too much excess then go over the cake. It will shine it up or smooth it out. Works best with royal icing tho I've found because buttercream is already a lot more moist than it. I've never tried a spray bottle although I suppose it would give the same effect.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 12

I've never used a spray bottle, but, when I use a non-crusting bc, I keep a tall glass filled with hot water handy. Dip and smooth. The nice thing is, you can smooth the cake forever without ruining the icing. Although, you may need to put a little more icing on if you're too enthusiastic. icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 12

Spray and use the spatula, not a paper towel to smooth. I have done this several times with success. The water kind of lubricates the buttercream so the spatula doesn't get stuck. It just glides over the icing making it smooth. I have only used that technique on a crusting buttercream.

SMBC and IMBC can be shiny. I use various buttercreams and I definitely think the meringue buttercreams have more sheen to them. So this is likely what you are seeing in the galleries. The excess water you spray on the cake eventually evaporates.

Annie

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 12

thumbs_up.gif

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 12

I remember years ago I would dip my knife in hot water and smooth and smooth, inevitably I would get the cake too wet, and the frosting would look strange, like crepey, wrinkled. So I am really careful when I do that now. I dip the spatula in hot water and wipe the blade, so don't get the cake too wet. My method of choice now is using a crusting buttercream and paper towel method, works so much better for me.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 12

I spray my buttercream with a fine mist of water and use a smoothing "scraper" to do the main smoothing. I then follow up with Viva towels to give a final smooth. If I get the icing a little too moist I'll let it sit for a little while and then use the Viva towel method. I love this method!

mrslivvix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrslivvix Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 12

What is crusting buttercream? How do you make it compared to regular buttercream? Please share your knowledge!! icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 12

Mike, the way I do my smoothing is, I get a hot plate to put my large measuring cup filled with water. Turn on the hot plate so that the water is hot enough to melt the icing off the spatula. I then place my large offset spatula in the hot water for about 5 minutes then shake off excess water then smooth the icing. The heated spatula melts the icing glass smooth. Re-dip the spatula shaking off excess water. If you just get a hot glass of water it will cool off before you finish icing and then your cake is not as smooth. Hope this makes sense.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 12

I have used the spray bottle forever. so much easier than the glass of hot water or water dip method. just spray and smooth. I also use the smooth side of the VIVA paper towels to get as close to a fondant look (espc. on edges) that you can get. (i don't use them togethet... use either ..water or towel)

the towels are easy to take with you when you deliver to remove that accidential finger in the icing. or what ever you need to smooth out.

I have tried other brands of paper towels but viva is the only one that does not
stick. it amazes people that see me do the smoothing. And yes so does the spray bottle. I have a small spray bottle that is in my rescue basket (what i take on cake deliveries are in a small picnic basket.) and then a larger spay bottle at home ....

What is nice also about the viva you can buy the select a size viva.. they are the perfect size for the sides of a cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 12

I heat up a pot of boiling water and then transfer that to a small crockpot that sits on the counter. It keeps the water hot enough to dip the spatula into.

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 12

I take my stainless frying pan, add water and ut it on low heat. The spatula fits it very well and makes it hot. Wipe & smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%