Chocolate Ganache Help Please!

Baking By YummyCreations Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 8:30am by lilmissbakesalot

YummyCreations Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 4:48am
post #1 of 8

I used a recipe for chocolate ganache which called for 1 1/2 c of heavy cream, 2 tsp light corn syrup and 12 oz. of bittersweet chocolate. I followed the instructions and had a nice tasting smooth ganache. I wanted to use it to cover a cake so I placed the ganache in the refrigerator (not the freezer) overnight hoping it would thicken it enough to spread on the cake. But the ganache did not thicken enough. It was like soft pudding and ran off the sides of the cake. I even placed the ganache in the freezer for almost an hour but didn't make much of a different. The cake's been in the refrigerator for hours now but the ganache on it feels like thick pudding and I'm affraid to try to cover it with fondant. Is there a better recipe out there? It didn't look anything like the tutorials I've seen online What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help!

7 replies
chocolatestone Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 5:29am
post #2 of 8

The chocolate to cream ratio for ganache when covering cakes for fondant is 2:1. So if you use 600g chocolate you will use 300ml milk. For white chocolate the ration is 3:1.

You recipe was probably for a pouring ganache because it has a higher cream content.

Bluehue Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 6:03am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyCreations

I used a recipe for chocolate ganache which called for 1 1/2 c of heavy cream, 2 tsp light corn syrup and 12 oz. .... Corn Syrup when making Ganache - irkkkkk - never heard of that tapedshut.gif
Who said to add Corn Syrup - someone who surely doesn't know about Ganache icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif
Ganache is Cream and Chocolate - not Cream, Chocolate and Corn Syrup.
Many add Butter - why i have no idea - its just adding more fat -
Many add Sugar - again i have no idea why -
if one wants sweet Ganache - use a sweet CHhocolate
If one wants a Bitter Ganache - use a Bitter Chcocolate

of bittersweet chocolate. I followed the instructions and had a nice tasting smooth ganache. I wanted to use it to cover a cake so I placed the ganache in the refrigerator (not the freezer) overnight hoping it would thicken it enough to spread on the cake. But the ganache did not thicken enough. It was like soft pudding and ran off the sides of the cake. I even placed the ganache in the freezer for almost an hour but didn't make much of a different. The cake's been in the refrigerator for hours now but the ganache on it feels like thick pudding and I'm affraid to try to cover it with fondant.
DON'T COVER IT WITH FONDAT - Trust me - it will just fall off - either that or it will slide off.
Plus you will NEVER get a smooth surface.
Is there a better recipe out there? It didn't look anything like the tutorials I've seen online What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help!
Sadly you haven't made Ganache - not sure what you have made - but it isn't Ganache...

For a Milk Chcolate Ganache just use twice as much chocolate as cream.
For White Chocolate Ganache - use 3 times the chocolate to cream...

Then you will have Ganache....
So sorry you made what you made - what an utter waste of ingreidiants -
Throw it away and start again - as it really isn't any good for anything -

Bluehue.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 6:18am
post #4 of 8

It's not unheard of at all... adding corn syrup and/or butter helps make poured ganache shiny when it sets. Now adding sugar... that's new to me and I agree... if you want it sweeter use a less bitter chocolate.

I'd say it was a pouring ganache meant to give thin coat and a glossy shine when done and not a recipe to use under fondant. The ratios mentioned by the other posters are what I use and it works great.

You could just add more chocolate to what you have now and it would be fine... no need to waste the chocolate you have already used.

bakescupcakes Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 8:26am
post #5 of 8

Hmm not sure about just adding more chocolate to the mixture with corn syrup? isn't that a softening agent that make stuff plyable? I thought people used corn syrup with chocolate to make modeling chocolate to make roses and so on.

I suppose you could try adding a small amount of choc to a small amount of your choc mixture to see if it will work.....

lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 8:45am
post #6 of 8

The amount is so small... 2 tbsp of corn syrup is not going to make her ganache not work if she adds more chocolate. It's the amount of cream right now that is the problem. If she were to add 12 more oz of chocolate it would make a nice firm ganache. He ratio is about 1:1 right now... double the chocolate and you will have a workable mixture.

Even when you make modeling chocolate, which is just chocolate and either corn syrup or glucose... after it sits and sets up it is rock solid. I'm talking it will clank against the counter solid. It's only when you knead it and warm it up that it gets soft. I actually work it with a rolling pin before starting to knead it with my hands to save me from hand cramps... LOL.

Editting to add... you might be thinking about glycerin. That is what you would add to your fondant/gumpaste to soften it if it is a bit dry.

YummyCreations Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for your advice! I will try the ratios recommended next time. The recipe I got was actually a Martha Stewart recipe and I've seen the "Cake Boss"'s ganache recipe from his book and they both have a small amount of corn syrup in them. Just an update, after letting the cake sit in the refrigerator overnight it did harden enough that I was able to put a thin layer of fondant over it and smoothed it out. Luckily it's a small cake (8") so I'll just keep it refrigerated until it's time to cut icon_smile.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 8:30am
post #8 of 8

A thing to remember too is that ganache can take a while to set up. Patience is not one my strong points, and I hate waiting for that magic moment when it sets up perfectly... LOL.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%