Homemade Rolled Fondant Dry!

Baking By 61999 Updated 16 Sep 2011 , 9:08pm by Afina79

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:40am
post #1 of 8

I tried 2 different recipes (both had powdered sugar, glucose, glycerine, water, shorthening. Only one had gelatin (Colette Peter's recipe). Both felt fine when I made them. They were wrapped tightly and placed in tupperware.
When I tried to use them the next day they were brittle and cracked easily. Could not cover a cake to save my life. Tried adding more shorthening - no good.
Any suggestions?

7 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:57am
post #2 of 8

Try placing some of it in the microwave for 10 second increments and knead it in between to see if it softens up.

I've had luck doing that.

Afina79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afina79 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 8

I usually use a marshmellow based recipe for my fondant and then when I am working it, I place gloves on and spray them down with pam. This keeps it from sticking to me or my counter when I working it, gives it a nice shine if you need a highgloss finish and keeps it from cracking on me. I usually do this technique if I am making cakes for my kids at school and have to make them a couple of days in advance.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 8

add glycerine, that will help

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 8

I have had this happen so out of frustration I doused it with water since I figured "heck if it's dry then lets see what happens when I over saturate it with water". I figured I was going to trash it anyway so why not experiment a bit. Well, it gets all sticky and gummy and I was sure I ruined it but kept on kneading and kneading using shortening on my sticky hands and eventually it reconstituted and became usable fondant and was even better after resting for a day or so. It's a worth a try if you are just going to toss it anyway. If you do it though just know you will be certain it's a gooey hopeless mess before it starts to come together and be usable. Lots of shortening on your hands.

I should say I've done that with the homemade fondant recipe with NO glycerin. Just MM, PS Sugar and shortening. hth!!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 8

It could be that you added too much powdered sugar. When I first made fondant from scratch I put way to much po.sugar and the next day it was impossible to work with. It also depends on the environment that you live, I just recently moved to a more humid climate and have noticed that I have to add more po. sugar to my recipe than when I lived in a drier climate. Also try kneading in some shortening to see if that would help some.

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks. Is marshmallow fondant good for covering a cake? I thought it was used for draping and bows.

Afina79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afina79 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. Is marshmallow fondant good for covering a cake? I thought it was used for draping and bows.

I use it for all my fondants.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%