Subbing Skim Milk For Whole Milk

Baking By rlowry03 Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 5:02pm by rlowry03

rlowry03 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 12:13am
post #1 of 8

I don't do tons of cakes on a regular basis, so I usually use the ingredients I have on hand. That means using skim milk. I notice most recipes call for whole milk, but it isn't worth me having to buy a container just for a batch of cupcakes. Should I account for the change in fat by adding something else to the recipe?

7 replies
scp1127 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 7:54am
post #2 of 8

If you are in business, it makes a difference. They will be a little richer and fuller bodied, more tender and it helps browning. If you are making them for fun, probably not if you still like the recipe. When I'm experimenting, I don't use the expensive local dairy stuff. I use the ultra pasteurized carton of whole milk. The expiration is over a month. This may work for you. I like the fat in my recipes. And in some cases, the fat can come from other sources. I don't know, but does carton milk in the little boxes come in whole?

If you try to sub, for example, butter, you have to account for the water too. A big pain.

I just googled it. One site said to make sure you don't overmix if you use skim. Another said that there is a powder that is whole. It's called Nido. Hope this helps.

lapazlady Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 10:29am
post #3 of 8

I use boxed skim (non-fat) milk for everything. Can't tell the difference. And, if you do substitute margarine for butter be sure you buy a brand that has the least water, it will say "For baking" on the packaging. HTH

rlowry03 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:12am
post #4 of 8

Thanks. I think I'll stick with what I have on hand for now, since I'm not cranking out enough cakes to justify an extra gallon of whole.

Can you freeze milk and buttermilk and still use it in recipes? I've heard that you can and then I've heard that it changes the texture and you can't. Wondering if anyone's tried it. I've found some recipes I'd like to try, and it would certainly be helpful to be able to buy a bigger carton for price savings as long as I could freeze the leftover for later.

cakegrandma Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:48am
post #5 of 8

If I am going to make something that calls for whole milk then I just purchase a small container of it for that recipe so as to not have a bunch of it leftover. If you want to always have buttermilk on hand buy some of the Saco powdered buttermilk, it's cheapest at WalMart. After opening keep it in the fridge and you can use it for everything.

rlowry03 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:13am
post #6 of 8

Evelyn - I've tried the powdered buttermilk in other recipes like biscuits and I find it's not nearly as good. I probably will end up buying small containers if freezing the rest won't work. It's just more expensive that way.

scp1127 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:21am
post #7 of 8

Help in the buttermilk!

I got those silicone cupcake liners. Put them on a cookie sheet and add 1/4 c buttermilk in each one. Be sure to shake it before filling. Freeze and pop them in a ziplock bag. Then just take out exactly what you need. They don't lose anything. I have never tried it with my local dairy buttermilk, but that is so expensive that I will use it for samples or for family if I get close to the expiration date.

I can't see why this wouldn't work with milk. I know it looks funny to drink, but if it doesn't hurt buttermilk, It can't hurt milk. We really want the properties that milk brings to the cake... the crumb, texture, and browning. Ultra-pasteurization already takes away much of the taste.

rlowry03 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 8

Sounds like it's worth a try! I figure if I can freeze it in small amounts needed for recipes it'll save me a ton of money in the long run.

Quote by @%username% on %date%