Cake Pricing Help

Decorating By KMianecki Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 2:43pm by jules5000

KMianecki Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Y'all!

I am going to be making a 2 tier fondant cake that looks very similar to this one. Can you tell me how much you would charge for it? It will be a 10" tier and an 8" tier.....I think. Thanks!!!

11 replies
KMianecki Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 12

goodness, I'll have to figure out how to attach an image, sorry. Anywhoo, the link for the cake is here:

KMianecki Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 12:39am
post #3 of 12

Even just a ballpark suggestion.....anyone?

auzzi Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:18am
post #4 of 12

Disney copyrighted figures ..

jason_kraft Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:35am
post #5 of 12

You cannot legally create copies of Phineas & Ferb without Disney's permission, but you can buy licensed toppers and put them on the cake.

For that cake we would probably charge $6/serving plus the cost of the toppers. We are in CA, and since you cannot legally sell homemade cakes here that price includes the extra cost for renting a commercial kitchen.

jules5000 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:57am
post #6 of 12

Kmianecki, I don't know if that is the law where you live--about making cakes at home. You may have a cottage law, but jason_Kraft is right. YOu can not legally sell a copyrighted version of something. I also don't know enough about these characters to know if you can find them elsewhere or not. I would suggest finding out what a store in your area would sell something like that for and/or see if you can find someone who decorates cakes in that area. Call them up and tell them what you want and find out what they would price it for? that would give you a ball park idea, pricing wise.

KMianecki Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 11:35am
post #7 of 12

I'm so sorry for the confusion! If you scroll down a little, I was just talking about the kite cake. It will not be an exact replica either as the customer wants a totally different color scheme. Thanks!

jules5000 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 12

KMianecki: Yes, now I see the confusion. that is a cute cake. where I live most of my friends price their cakes in the 3-4 dollar range per slice. I live in the midwest.

TexasSugar Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 12

For me it's $3 for butter cream, and $4 for fondant. So the kite cake in a 6 and 8 would be $144.

You need to use the link above though, for information on how to price YOUR cakes.

CocoaBlondie Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 12

I do a lot of character cakes at no charge for family. With that I have to add I recently turned down a customer requested Phineas & Ferb cake. Disney has strict copyright laws. Not worth the fine.

KMianecki Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you everyone!!

jules5000 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 12

I have a question. second try. what if you buy a disney character pan and you make a cake from that and sell it? How can they quibble with you making a cake to sell when they did not set up regulations with the retail place that sells the character pans. You can only buy this pan if you are not going to make a cake to sell and you have to sign this sheet which we send to disney. If they make an agreement with Wilton to make the pans to sell to the public knowing that there are cake decorators out there that buy Wilton pans and learn how to decorate through Wilton and they do not set up an special contract when you buy their pans, I do not see how they can do anything about it. Now I can see the problem when you make your own disney charachters by sculpting them. Can someone explain this to me? in a way that makes sense? Cuz to me they have no right to regulate what one does when they buy disney character pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%