12" Square

Baking By Ybird Updated 16 Sep 2011 , 4:49pm by Ybird

Ybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ybird Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 6

Hi i have to make a 12" square cake and was wondering what mix people usully use and how long cooking time. (ii have one deep tin)
I will be making a normal sponge mix and will be using a gas oven.

my most popular cake is a 10" round that i usully use two tins and split a 12 ounce mix between the two then cook on 170 for 25-30 mins.

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ybird Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 6

IV BEEN LOOKING AT THE BAKING STRIPS TO HELP COOK MY SQUARE TIN BUT THEY ALL SAY THERE GOOD FOR ROUND CAKES? IS NEWSPAPER ANY GOOD TO WRAP AROUND MY TIN?

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 6

I would not mix heat and newsprint!! Even if you wet it it will dry out fast. Just guessing that the ink is probably not food safe either. It might even smoke and cause fumes. Pin the strips tight, they should stay on as well as anything else!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 6

Those stipes can be used on any shaped pan. Just pull them tight and pin them together.
DO NOT use newspaper! I am not fimilar with 12 oz mixes and how they fill a pan. If the batter comes up the sides *at least* 1/2 way it will be fine. If not you need to add more batter. I'm thinking you are going to need at least one more mix.
Here in the US our mixes are 18 oz; a 12" sq pan, 2" deep needs 2 of those.

Ybird Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 6

Thankyou for your comments, i only suggested newspaper as i read that from some other forum that someone had used that to help cook the cake more even.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%