Why, Oh Why, Did I Try Hi-Ratio Shortening?

Baking By madicakes Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 9:14pm by hammer1

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 24

Now I can't go back...lol. I never, ever believed there could be such a difference! I found some in a nearby cake supply store and decided to try it....WOW. Yet another convert icon_smile.gif

23 replies
saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 24

I ordered some online and will be using it for an anniversary cake. Do you use the same amounts of high ratio as you do for regular shortening? I have read that you use 2/3 cup of high ratio for 1 cup of regular shortening--does that sound right? Any guidance you can provide would be appreciated.

TIA

Sheryl

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 24

I just used the same amount as I do regular shortening...only because I didn't read about using less until AFTER I had made my icing, but I did end up adding more sugar until it tasted "right", probably because I didn't use less shortening...lol icon_rolleyes.gif

saapena Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 24

Thanks for answering. I will try 2/3 cup to 1 cup then. I have heard the same thing about the high ratio being so much better. I know if I like it, I will probably order a 50# cube from GFS and freeze it--I am only a hobby baker icon_redface.gif .

Holdoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holdoll Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 24

I ordered some online after watching Sharon Zambito's buttercream video. I am SOLD and will never turn back!

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 24

How much do they charge for 50#. I'm trying to look it up, but can't seem to find it icon_sad.gif

saapena Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 24

Wow! So high ratio makes that much of a difference? I can't wait to try it. I will be starting to make some of the BC in the next day or two so I guess I will see then lol.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerliz

How much do they charge for 50#. I'm trying to look it up, but can't seem to find it icon_sad.gif

I too live in TX, Dallas actually, and you want to be careful because you might get hi-ratio soup with this heat. as soon as it cools off i will buy my weight in hi-ratio and chocolate. im scared to order now because of the heat and the money they will charge for the extra dry ice to make sure the stuff doesn't melt

bakerliz Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 24

I'm in the Houston area and I hadn't even thought about that! You make a good point icon_smile.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 24

I ordered the baking arts DVD http://www.bakingarts.net/modeling-chocolate-dvds.html and i really want to start playing with chocolate and make those cakes but im scared of what will end up in that package. specially since we hit 107 yesterday. chocolate and heat is a bad mix

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:

We buy 50# blocks of Sweetex Z (zero trans fat, required for CA) from Bakemark, a national distributor. The cost is around $80-90, regular Sweetex should cost the same.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:00pm
post #12 of 24

I bought mine from Bakers Kitchen, they sell it in 4 lb. Buckets, so I bought a couple. I'm just a hobby baker so that was plenty. I love, love, love hi-ratio shorting. I just recently started using it. I didn't realize that it was 2/3 cup to 1 cup. I always learn something new here at CC!

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:53pm
post #13 of 24

saapena.....what is GFS?

I have ordered from GSA and www.FondantSource.com I also tried a hi-ratio shortening that wasn't sweetex and it didn't have the same great taste/texture. You also have to make sure what you order. I almost ordered the "Z" once. Also, some places will not ship it or chocolate when it is hot. I also had some chocolate shipped in but had to pay extra for kryo-packing. Don't want to do that again unless I have to! I do wait to order until November here so there isn't a great risk for melting.

bakerliz Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:44pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

We buy 50# blocks of Sweetex Z (zero trans fat, required for CA) from Bakemark, a national distributor. The cost is around $80-90, regular Sweetex should cost the same.

Thanks!

saapena Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:02pm
post #15 of 24

Inspiredbymom--GFS is Gordon Food Service, which is a restaurant supply store in the Chicago area (not sure if they are nationwide). I believe I read somewhere that they will order in the 50# blocks for you. I ordered a 4 pound bucket from The Baker's Kitchen and shipping was almost as much as the cost of the high ratio shortening. I have not tried it yet (probably over the weekend) but from everything I read here and on other sights, I will probably love it--just another thing to buy for my very expensive hobby icon_lol.gif . That is okay--it goes along with my Magic Line pans (sets of round and square of course), an Agbay and my 7 quart Cuisinart mixer and loads of piping tips, letter cutters, flower cutters...It is hard to believe I just started this hobby about three years ago icon_redface.gif .

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:03pm
post #16 of 24

I just got a 50 pound box of high ratio shortening from GFS in Illinois. I paid $59 with tax. It's a small box that weighs a ton so be careful getting it into the car. It comes in a cube shaped box that just has a blue plastic bag inside with the shortening in that. They don't carry it in the store, you need to call and they will order it for you. Takes a few weeks. The product number is 9529640-1-50# and it's called something like cake and icing shortening. You do not need to be a member to shop there.

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:29pm
post #17 of 24

^^That's why I generally order mine online. Shipping sucks, but at least it's shipped to my door and I don't have to worry about trying to haul it to my car (and into the car) and into the house. This way I can just push my weight against the box to where it needs to be lol But also, the GFS around here is about 20 minutes away in a really busy area (that I rarely have need to go), so it's overall worth it for me.

I agree though on how much better hi ratio shortening is. I also did not know about the smaller amount of hi ratio to regular. I definitely prefer it to regular Crisco. My boyfriend loves Sugarshack's buttercream (after taking the tip out, he'll squirt the rest of out the piping bag into his mouth after I'm completely done lol he didn't used to do that before because it was "too sweet" yet I actually use more powdered sugar...).

I used to buy the 4lb tubs of hi ratio (one or two at a time), but at the rate I was baking, I'd go through it really quick, so I opted for the 25lb bucket (which I might add is a PITA to open every time, so I just refill one of my 4lb tubs and store the bucket until I need a refill). The rate I had to buy it, it was cheaper to get the bigger (even with shipping).

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 3:34pm
post #18 of 24

Ditto......so much stuff, wanting sooooo much more. Agbay jealousy going on here big time! I have a question about magicline pans. I'll post it later. No, we don't have a Gordon's. The local (30 min away!!) food service does not carry it. I tried. None of the bakeries in the closest city even heard of Sweetex or hi ratio. I find that hard to believe but I called all in the book! I emailed Sharon Zambito and she gave the www.FondantSource.com site. It is really great on prices but they run out of stock quickly. She also told me that the Sweetex brand was better than others on the market. However, a person at the company that makes Sweetex told me that they require all companies that break down the shortening in smaller portions, to use private labels. I don't know what brand The Baker's Kitchen is.

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 3:48pm
post #19 of 24

I have using Crisco and just bought some CK - When I took the classes it was a cup of shortening. Will it be the same about with the CK?

Thanks

dream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 4:49pm
post #20 of 24

Has anyone tried Kitchen Krafts hi -ratio shortening. Here is the link....it is a 3 lb container for $9.95 you can also order a bigger tub.
http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=IN1103

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 8:42pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiredbymom

I don't know what brand The Baker's Kitchen is.

It's TBK. It looks like they label it as their own, I think?

It's the only hi-ratio shortening I've ever used. My co-worker gave me the link and really only have ever purchased from there. Shipping is pretty quick for me.

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 9:19pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicakes

Now I can't go back...lol. I never, ever believed there could be such a difference! I found some in a nearby cake supply store and decided to try it....WOW. Yet another convert icon_smile.gif

Can you share what brand you purchased? And what makes the difference? Is it creamier , sturdier or does it taste better?

Thank you
Christina

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 8:16pm
post #23 of 24

Also how long does hi-ratio shortening store until it goes bad?

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 9:14pm
post #24 of 24

we use Alpine brand....it is geat...we take one afternoon and just portion it out in 1 pound balls and wrap in saran...keep iun a cool place and it is ready to go for icing. This saves a lot of time and mess measuring later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%