Mini Cakes (All Buttercream)

Decorating By kryptonite Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 3:27pm by QTCakes1

kryptonite Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 4

I have to do 20 mini cakes next week. They will all be 4" cakes, some round, some square, NO fondant...Has anybody had any experience with this? Any tips/tricks/advice? I'm sure I'll follow up with more specific questions when I figure out the details of the order, but right now, I'm worried about getting a smooth finish on such little cakes without losing my mind. Thanks everyone!!

3 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 4

Wow. I think 6" cakes are a PITA so I can't imagine how 4" ones would be. I hope you are charging VERY well for your time!

Could you use a poured icing? I was thinking a poured fondant icing or maybe ganache? That way you would have to deal with minimal smoothing and dealing with spatulas.

Good luck! Post pictures when you're done!

QTCakes1 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 4

I would much rather use poured ganache. I would suggest getting the big frosting tip for quick application. Once on, it'll be quick to smooth with a small offset spatula.

QTCakes1 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 4

Also, do everything assembly line style. Don't sit there and frost one cake, then smooth. trust me when i say it is much faster to go frost all, then go back and smooth all. It gives you a rythm and speed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%