Petal Pad Needed?

Decorating By Emmnemms Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 3:42pm by TexasSugar

Emmnemms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmnemms Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 7:36am
post #1 of 6

Hiya
So, i have been working on gum paste flowers recently, and just got gum paste tools. My question is, do I need a petal pad? I failed to get one, and the closest supply store is over an hour away....

Is there something else i could use?

Thanks oodles icon_smile.gif
Emm

5 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:42am
post #2 of 6

Could you order one online? I get a lot of my supplies that way as I don't drive - way easier to get it delivered to me icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:49am
post #3 of 6

When i first started out with gumpaste, i didnt have a petal pad so i made my own lol! i basically took a clean new bathsponge and used that, Its not the best, too many holes lol! so i used a piece of foam you would get for making padding on chairs that i had spare from another project , i covered it with a piece of cotton type cloth, with no pattern , It wasnt perfect, but it did work untill i could get a proper one, now ive got it, i wouldnt part with it, i love it and use it for alsorts not just flowers icon_smile.gif

littleninja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleninja Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:34am
post #4 of 6

I use a mouse pad if that helps :p

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 6

I have also seen people use those kneeling pads (used for gardening) in place of a Celpad. The thinner ones are pretty inexpensive at big box stores. And that would be a new, clean one, obviously icon_lol.gif .....

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 6

Wilton makes a set of them, that you can get at craft stores.

Depending on the thickness/spongeness you need, you can also use some of those foamy decoration things you can find at craft stores as well.

http://www.michaels.com/Creatology%E2%84%A2-Foam-Shapes---Flowers/kd1860,default,pd.html?start=19&cgid=products-kidsteachers-creatology-foamworld

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%