Grocery Store Decorators?

Decorating By Mrstrolli Updated 16 Sep 2011 , 12:52am by Mrstrolli

Mrstrolli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrstrolli Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:49am
post #1 of 5

I'm new here and looking for other grocery store decorators. I just got hired by a really large supermarket chain and am back to decorating part time after a break from it for 15 years. Loving it (this really is my profession) but decorating in a store is so structured! And my hands are sore. What am i doing wrong?

Any help or comments are appreciated!

4 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 5

Be careful with your hands. Make sure you are stretching them if you feel sore. You can do "prayer stretches" where you basically put your hands in front of you with palms together (fingers pointing up) at your chest, then slowly lower them down toward your abdomen. This will stretch your hands and help them to feel better.

http://www.toc.md/exercises_wristhand.htm

Mrstrolli Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks---that is something I haven't been doing. But I'm doing it now. Do ice packs on the hands and wrists help?

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 12:05am
post #4 of 5

I find that my hands get really sore after I've taken time off from decorating for awhile and then go back to it. If my hands get sore I put them in a bowl of ice water for 5-8 minutes at the end of my decorating session. It really helps get rid of the soreness for the next day. Stretching is important too, but never after the ice bath! You're numb and stiff right after that and stretching could cause injury. The ice bath is pretty uncomfortable but only for about 3 minutes, so stick it out that long and you'll be fine. I don't know how many grown male athletes I've seen cry in an ice bath! (Decorating is just a hobby, the medicine part is career.)

Mrstrolli Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 12:52am
post #5 of 5

Great idea. I will do that. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%