Tips Please For Covering Square Cake With Fondant

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 3:02pm by SugarMama5

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 4:40am
post #1 of 4

soes anyone have any tips for covering square cakes with fondant? It ages me every time I do one icon_wink.gif sometimes it goes well & other times it's such a headache!

3 replies
ghana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghana Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:15am
post #2 of 4

Best to smooth it out starting from the top and at about an inch at a time as you stretch out the bottom ruffles outward. By the time you get to the bottom (bit by bit like I said)...the fondant would have already adheared to the cake and you just need to cut off the excess. I too had more trouble with square as opposed to the round ones
GL

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:34am
post #3 of 4

It helps to start with the corners first, then work your way to the middle of each side.

Check out this video icon_smile.gif

HTH!

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the tips. I think maybe I'm rolling it out too thin. I bought The Mat (if you google it you'll find it... It's just called the mat)... Anyways, I love it bc I can roll the fondant out almost paper thin. I've had great success with covering round cakes & the fondant has gone on nicely with using the mat, and it's so thin, the fondant is nice to eat. Yesterday was the first time using it with covering square cakes.. I've done two of the three tiers so far, but I found that once I did the corners, the rest was just dying to pucker up. And since it was rolled out so beautifully thin, I was worried about it tearing. I think on the last tier I will try it thicker and see how it goes. Crossing fingers!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%