Frustrated!!! Satin Ice And Dummies!

Decorating By kisamarie Updated 16 Sep 2011 , 3:31pm by karukaru

kisamarie Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:39am
post #1 of 7

I usually only make my own fondant, and have never had any trouble covering a cake with it. I have to make 2 sets of dummies for an auction coming up and thought Satin Ice would be better than homemade because it contains preservatives, and I want the dummies to survive a few months being stored. So I have bought 20 + ponds of it and it SUCKS!!! It is tearing and crumbling and I've worked so much crisco into it I think its now overworked and Im ready to scream. I sanded the dummies down and it just wants to keep tearing. I want to cry icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

6 replies
kisamarie Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 7

Ok, since nobody offered any advice... I went to Satin Ices website and looked up their directions on how best to work with their product. Low and behold, there is my problem, Satin Ice hates shortening! They put gum paste in it for pliability and its best if you just need the cr** out of it and then apply it. So there was my major issue resolved, its just too bad I wasted a pound and a half of it yesterday icon_sad.gif Oh well, live and learn!

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 7

I use Satin Ice. I roll it out on crisco and I knead in maybe a 1/4 tsp. per 2 pounds?--just enough to coat my hands well and keep the SI from being sticky--don't have any real problems with it.

If you allow your "ruined" SI to rest overnight, it'll be ready to go in the morning. You can buy some Wilton and knead it into the SI--2/3 SI + 1/3 Wilton works really well--and have a wonderfully workable product.

Rae

kisamarie Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 12:47am
post #4 of 7

Thanks, Ill try that, I thought for sure I would be stuck ordering another bucket! thumbs_up.gif

Dewey_Durden Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:23am
post #5 of 7

I always use Satin Ice, I love it! I buy the 20 pound buckets. I have never had much trouble with it. I always knead it to make nice and pliable. I coat my hands with veg. shortening and after I apply it to my cake if I have any elephant skin (which is rare) I apply a little shortening with my finger to fix it.

cakesbycathy Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 7

If these are dummy cakes why would you pay all that money for and use Satin Ice?!?

Cover them with the Wilton crap. It's perfect for dummy cakes. And a heck of a lot cheaper, especially with Michael's 40 or 50% off coupons.

I have 4 sitting out that I did in March and they look exactly the same as the day I made them.

karukaru Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

If these are dummy cakes why would you pay all that money for and use ?!?

Cover them with the Wilton crap. It's perfect for dummy cakes. And a heck of a lot cheaper, especially with Michael's 40 or 50% off coupons.

I have 4 sitting out that I did in March and they look exactly the same as the day I made them.

Ditto.

I was having the elephant skin problem with Satin Ice until a local baker told me to add Hi ratio shortening and voila! It works Perfect! But it has to be Hi ratio because it really doesn't work well with crisco. Also you are supposed to knead it a lot with your hands. I also heard somewhere that adding glycerin helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%