Cake That Looks Like Cherry Pie

Decorating By edc1997 Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 5:57am by SRumzis

edc1997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edc1997 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:13am
post #1 of 4

I am planning to make a cake to donate to my church's Annual Pie Auction (all desserts are welcome). I thought it would be cute to make it look like a cherry pie. I am planning to bake it and leave it in a pie pan and make lattice crust out of fondant. I don't know how to make the cherry "filling", though. I have read that using actual cherry pie filling will make the fondant crust "melt" so I am hesistant to do that since I will have to deliver it hours before the live auction. I want it to look real, but also taste good.

3 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:28am
post #2 of 4

There are a lot of "pie" cakes in the gallery. I would take a look and PM some of the CCers who made them.

Here's one that's really good.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2119726

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 4:50am
post #3 of 4

Hi,
I did a dessert themed cake which included a cherry pie. I used mini marshmallows that I painted red with food coloring. They were placed on top of the cake, then the fondant lattice was added over top. Worked great!

KimAZ

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:57am
post #4 of 4

I would use red piping gel to get that glaze effect. If you wait for the piping gel to set before you add the fondant to the top, it should last well without breaking down the fondant, as long as you don't refrigerate it. The marshmallows would probably look like cherries if the red piping gel was over the top of them. Wouldn't hurt to color the marshmallows a bit first, though. Or even maybe buy the multicolored marshmallow bag, then just use the pink ones? icon_wink.gif Hth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%