Piping Gel

Decorating By kakebrown Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 3:09am by kakebrown

kakebrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakebrown Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:28am
post #1 of 5

I am trying to make a fishing cake. The woman wants a clear blue pond. I am thinking piping gel would work. Do I just crave out the pond and pour in the tinted piping gel? Will it set firm? I have never done this and I don't want it to run off the cake......Is it better to make my own or buy the gel? Thanks for any help.

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:54am
post #2 of 5

Don't know how big the pond is going to be, but in general, I avoid piping gel.

I find the taste of piping gel--even with extracts or oils added--and particularly the texture to be..................disgusting. I just can't get down anything with piping gel on it.

I'd be inclined to make the pond using a disc of blue cooked sugar, a sheet of blue gelatin, and lastly, blue buttercream and maybe, just maybe, a very thin coating of piping gel.

JMHO
Rae

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:01am
post #3 of 5

I just did a fishing cake a few days ago and used tinted piping gel. I just took a small butter knife and added it to the cake. Waving the knife back and forth gives a water/wavy appearance. It looks so neat! I agree it doesn't taste very good, but most people just scrape it off w/ the fondant anyway. It won't run off the cake, it's quite sticky. After about 24 hrs it hardens slightly and is no longer sticky to the touch. Hope that helps =)

faithc24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faithc24 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:05am
post #4 of 5

I would cut out the shape of the pond you want with blue or aqua colored Fondant and put the piping gel (thin layer)over top of it. I agree piping gel looks great for water and I've used it in a couple of my cakes. Could you design the cake to make the "pond" on the cake board and not part of the cake? Just a thought! Good luck!

kakebrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakebrown Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:09am
post #5 of 5

I will be using bettercream icing. Does anyone know if piping gel will work with Bettercream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%