Why Did I Think

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 16 Sep 2011 , 2:12am by jules5000

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:09am
post #1 of 19

Why did I think that adding cream to semi-sweet chocolate would make the chocolate sweeter?

and I am guessing it's just as crazy to think that as the ganache sets over night that it will sweeten .... maybe I'll whip it tomorrow and add a lil powder sugar...

18 replies
MommieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommieK Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:22am
post #2 of 19

I was experimenting with a Boston cream cupcake a few weeks ago and had trouble getting the chocolate ganache the right sweetness. The combo I cam up with that worked was 1 tbsp of semi-sweet ganache and 2-21/2 tbsp milk choco ganache. It may be a little more work to make a second batch of milk chocolate but it will help balance out the semi sweet. I didn't like the milk chocolate ganache alone because it didn't have a distinct taste. If you aren't pressed for time you can try it.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:25am
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

Why did I think that adding cream to semi-sweet chocolate would make the chocolate sweeter?

and I am guessing it's just as crazy to think that as the ganache sets over night that it will sweeten .... maybe I'll whip it tomorrow and add a lil powder sugar...

I had one of those nights, myself. You mix buttercream so often you could do it in your sleep. You take 3 weeks off (dern Hurricane Irene) and try to mix it in the midst of brain farts, and it just doesn't turn out the way it usually does.

Idk, what is up with that?

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:26am
post #4 of 19

The ganache recipe I use calls for 2T sugar mixed in with the cream while it's heating. You could try that next time and see if it helps.

It's 2T sugar, 2 T butter, 12oz semi sweet choc and 1 cup heavy cream.

HTH

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:47am
post #5 of 19

All of you must really love your sweets. I love sweet, but I have never needed to add any sugar or anything else to semi-sweet Ganache for it to be sweet enough. I think it is perfect like it is. I don't know what it is, but even though I love my sweets it seems that the older I get I have found that I need other things to break up the sweet or it is too intense. Maybe age is just it. I don't know. Cuz I am still crazy for sweet. But like to me there are somethings that even though they maybe 95% Cho. if they are mixed with anyting else that is sweet it is too intense. I want something salty or peanut butter to break up the intensity of the sweet. Am I nuts? I don't know maybe I am. I think that Ganache by itself is sweet enough. Just the right amount. Are ya'll from the south? I think the south really likes their sweets sweet!!! I love the richness of their desserts though. I will say that.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:33am
post #6 of 19

I forgot that I only tolerate semi-sweet in cookies (store bought) b/c it's in cookies, when I make chocolate chip cookies I always use milk chocolate. I am making something for hubby who loves chocolate chip cookies and does not need things as sweet as me. I did not want it as sweet as milk chocolate, but... man I am not sure semi is the answer either..

love the hint of adding sugar to the warming cream!!!!! next time for sure.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:51am
post #7 of 19

Here is a ganache cheat that works like a charm. Heat canned frosting (DH or Pillsbury works best) in a saucepan over medium low heat and add about 1/4 cup of chocolate candy melts or wafers to it, stir this the candy melts. You don't want it too hot but good and warm. Pour over cake, drizzle or solid, sets up in a matter of 10 minutes or so.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:53am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

All of you must really love your sweets. I love sweet, but I have never needed to add any sugar or anything else to semi-sweet Ganache for it to be sweet enough. I think it is perfect like it is. I don't know what it is, but even though I love my sweets it seems that the older I get I have found that I need other things to break up the sweet or it is too intense. Maybe age is just it. I don't know. Cuz I am still crazy for sweet. But like to me there are somethings that even though they maybe 95% Cho. if they are mixed with anyting else that is sweet it is too intense. I want something salty or peanut butter to break up the intensity of the sweet. Am I nuts? I don't know maybe I am. I think that Ganache by itself is sweet enough. Just the right amount. Are ya'll from the south? I think the south really likes their sweets sweet!!! I love the richness of their desserts though. I will say that.

I agree...semi-sweet choc ganache is so delicious...I can't imagine it being sweeter! I usually use ganache as part of my chocolate cake and chocolate buttercream...and those are sweet enough. The ganache adds another layer of deep chocolate flavor that sets off the sweeter chocolate in the cake and buttercream. And salt always enhances sweet in my opinion. And I am from the south--or at least the middle South!

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:12am
post #9 of 19

I agree, I couldn't imagine chocolate ganash being sweeter. It's so rich and fudgy as it is.

jules5000 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 19

thank you cakelady2266 again. I love your ganache cheat. I am going to copy it down and if I am in a hurry and/or do not have the money for the whipping cream I will try this.

rubycurls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubycurls Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 19

I just made a cake with chocolate ganache that my friend asked for. She wanted "dark chocolate but sweet but not as sweet as milk chocolate" eh? I was a bit perplexed. I think she meant that she wanted the cocoa taste of the dark but not the bitter aftertaste. What I ended up doing was to melt a tiny bit of white chocolate into the dark. I just eyeballed it really and tasted it as I went along. I was suprised that it didn't affect the rich chocolate flavour or dark colour but it did balance out the intense bitter after tase. It was a good cheat and very handy to use if you have no milk chocolate to hand to create semi sweet. We can't get that here in the uk, its either dark, milk or white.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 19

Hi,
you can always add part semi sweet chips and part milk chocolate chips to you ganache mix to make it as sweet as you want. My normal recipie also calls for the unsalted butter and sugar but if I am changing to adding milk chocolate from the semi sweet i don't use it. Just the cream.

But here is a great GREAT ganache cheat and it works everytime and takes no time to make.

one 8 oz FROZEN container of cool whip.. (or store brand) in microwave safe large bowl, then add between 6 to 8 oz of choclate chips of your choice (if you have a ktichen scale it is easy) otherwise just guess half a bag from the 12 oz chips.

Place frozen cool whip and choclate chips in microwave for 1 min on high then stir.. then another 30 seconds stir until melted. If needed repeat heating by 30 second intervals. then let stand either at room temp or refrigerate until desired thickess. either to pour over top of cake or whip to spread on cake.

this is great for quick frosting... my husband eats it like the candy truffiles
that they could be if they had time to make it into them.

also save money as its cheaper than buying heavy cream and unsalted butter.

you an also heat the frosting in the microwave for one minute and it is perfect to pour over your cake or desert. it only takes a minute to melt it to pouing stage.

hope this helps.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:27pm
post #13 of 19

Cool tips guys!!!!

I remember many years ago a can of frosting had a recipe for "fudge" and it was chocolate chips and the can frosting melted and the placed in frig to set. You could add any kind of candy/flavors to it and it was quick and easy!

and yes, It's that bitter aftertaste I dont like, you 1st pop some in your mouth and you're all "ohhh this is so go..... *ugh bug eyes* ... ewww bitter"

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 10:31pm
post #14 of 19

I often substitute about a third of the dark chocolate for milk chocolate (or for some people, up to half), which makes ganache a little sweeter for those in my family that don't like really dark chocolate. I quite like the semi-sweet really dark ganache myself, but it's not to everyone's taste I guess.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:14pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

All of you must really love your sweets. I love sweet, but I have never needed to add any sugar or anything else to semi-sweet Ganache for it to be sweet enough. I think it is perfect like it is.

I agree! I usually do a combo of bitter and semi sweet, cause bitter is not sweet enough and all semi is too sweet. I may add little butter to my ganache for a smoother texture, but I have never seen a recipe that adds sugar. I think ganache is pretty sweet and chocolatey as it is.

jules5000 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:30am
post #16 of 19

Here goes again. I think sometimes that I just get confirmation of my being different on here. I love the darker chocolate. I like Bittersweet and Semi-sweet both better than milk cho. I have never tasted the bitter taste you all are talking about in the darker cho. Maybe, I have, but it doesn't bother me because maybe for me it is what keeps it from being too sweet? Does that make sense. I use milk Cho. occasionally for my husband because he prefers that over the dark cho.....but I have never seen him turn down treats with dark cho. either. or semi sweet. and that may be why I don't make more of an effort to make things milk cho. for him. I should though. He is so wonderful to me.

cakestyles Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:53am
post #17 of 19

If you use a high quality semi sweet chocolate it definitely doesn't produce an overly sweet ganache...heck it doesn't even produce a sweet ganache, it produces what it's name implies...a semi sweet ganache.

Now if you're using Nestle, Hershey's or Ghiradelli chips in a bag well then I can understand why you'd think the ganache is sweet...the lower end chocolate will produce a sweeter ganache.

I am not from the south and I hate anything that's overly sweet, which is why I don't like milk or white chocolate.

cakestyles Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:00am
post #18 of 19

Jules, I agree with you..I love dark chocolate and I don't taste the bitter aftertaste either.

I believe dark chocolate is actually good for us too! thumbs_up.gif lol Any reason to eat it is good in my book.

jules5000 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:12am
post #19 of 19

Cakestyles and everyone else. I just heard yesterday, I believe it was that dark cho. actually has more antioxidants than red wine and there was something else. I believe it was one of the berries that is said to be high in antioxidants. Now I can go for that. The biggest problem is the calories you consume to eat it regularly enough to do you good....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%