Weight Of Wedding Cake Serving- Just Curious

Decorating By Panel7124 Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 11:55pm by rlowry03

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 4

I always wondered how wedding servings can be measured in weight. I can explain: Italian wedding cakes are sold at weight (1 serving = 100 g = approx. 3,5 oz), so e.g. a 100 serv. cake will weight 10 kg (approx. 22 lbs). The price is quoted per kg (2,2 lbs) or 100 g. I was not used to this system of measurement, so from the beginning I started to weight all my finished cakes, wrote a description of everything used in it and with time learned to estimate how much the finished cake will approximately weight. The US wedding cake serving is 1'' x 2'' x 4'' - but how much could it weight? (I know - different types of cakes - moist, dry..., fillings, frosting, decorations, depends on which part of the cake is cut.... - only to have some idea?). My cakes are quite dense and moist, baked from scratch so it could be an issue - not having enough servings for the weight requested - the slices will be right (100 g) but will seem too SMALL - and Italians are eating A LOT!! For me it's not really a problem, I deliver what requested and the weight will be right, if they want bigger servings, they can order them for a right price. I found my 1'' x 2'' x 4'' slice weights 120 g (approx. 4,2 oz). It means in the US I would have to make 12 kg (26,4 lbs) cake? icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm only curious: how much does your 100 serv. vanilla scratch cake with IMBC filling and frosting, covered with 1/8'' thin fondant (not including decorations - gumpaste or fondant flowers, figures, toppers etc.) approximately weight?

3 replies
rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 4

I have no idea how much a cake this size weighs. However, if your 1x2x4" piece of cake weighs 120 g, that's already more than a standard serving in Italy (100 g). Are you concerned that the customer will think your 120 g serving is too small based on the measurement? Is that because italian cakes are generally not as dense and so it takes a bigger piece to get 100 g?

I would suggest figuring out what dimensions the standard italian cake serving is. Then you can adjust your prices to fit that for your cake. For example, if a standard italian serving (100 g) is 2x2x4, then you can serve larger sizes (which will be more weight). But you will have to charge more for them, because it is going to take a cake twice the size to feed the same number of people. Maybe the size isn't going to be as different as you might think.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 4

yeah, exactly. I'm not really worried, because in contract is stated '100 servings cake' (and one serving is understood as 100g - not 1'' x 2'' x 4'' slice, so in total 10 kg). But their traditional wedding cakes are sponge cakes, large and flat (not more than 2 tiers), full of whipped cream and fruits. Something like this:

http://www.grappolodorowedding.com/ITA/foto/4/20/decorazione-veliero-per-torta-nuziale-grappolo-doro-ristorante-per-matrimoni-e-cerimonie.html

http://www.oggisposa.it/consigli/torta-nuziale/torta-monopiano.html

The servings are much bigger (volume) per 100 g. When they will start to serve the cake, they will cut it as they usually do... don't know, maybe I could give them some kind of cutting pattern or so with 100 g servings. Thanks for your input!

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 4

Now I'm craving a delicious whipped cream filled strawberry shortcake!

I see what you mean about the size difference. I'm sure they cut the cakes into bigger squares like we cut our traditional sheet cakes because they aren't as tall. I would send a cutting guide to whoever will be serving the cake so they know how to get the appropriate number of servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%