What Should I Teach In Level 4?

Decorating By threeforhim Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 11:01pm by threeforhim

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 3

I teach three levels of cake decorating at the local technology center. They're basically the old Wilton classes. I'm not so much locked in to what Wilton does or their products so I've shared some of what I've learned from CC and other places with the students.

They're interested in a 4th level, knowing that the 3rd class doesn't get into fondant techniques as much as they'd like. I wouldn't want to just work on fondant all four weeks (12 hrs. total), but a variety of things. What would you suggest? (Keeping in mind what the old Wilton course 3 covers).

2 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 3

Wilton actually had a Fondant and Gum paste Course before they changed the classes up last summer.

In it you made a fondant box, fondant covered cake board, Gum paste Daisy, Carnation and Fantasy Flower, ball border, rope border and cut outs.

In the new Gum Paste and Fondant Course, we make the bigger bow, fondant ruffle and garland, daisy, rose, carnation, calla lily and mum.

Depending on how many cakes they do, you could have them do two fondant covered cakes, in different shapes, one round and one square, so they can get the fill for each.

You could also throw in a little modeling with the fondant. Maybe some quick and easy little animals or some other type of fondant decorations.

Have you asked them what else they are interested in learning?

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 3

I haven't asked them what they're interested in because they mention fondant a lot. I told them what was covered in the third course and apparently it wasn't enough fondant for them. icon_smile.gif They asked about a fourth course. I'll see if I can find an old wilton book somewhere and then pick up a new version, too. Maybe do a combo?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%