Need Help Figuring Out How Much Cake I Need To Bake

Decorating By Periperi Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 7:59pm by Periperi

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making an anniversary cake for my grandparents and am trying to figure out how much cake I should make. There willl be 23 people. Originally I was thinking an 8" round and a 6" round would be enough but now that they're baked, I'm starting to wonder if that won't quite feed everyone. I know people will want a little larger slice than that typically served at a wedding. Since this is going to be a tiered cake, should I go ahead and make a 10" round as well? Thanks for your input!

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 5

A two layer 6 and 8 serves 36 1x2 in pieces. If you add a 10in round to it, it will then serve 74 pieces, three times the cake you need.

You could do a 6 and 10 cake, which would would be 50, still double what you need, though.

Periperi Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 5

The 8" cake is 4 layers and the 6" cake is 3 layers. Is that enough for actual full slices of cake for 23 people?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 5

If each 'tier' is over 3-4 inches tall, the size you are making should be plenty.

Or course I believe in the smaller cake sizes. I don't think it is up to us to serve every person a super sized piece of cake. To me cake is in addition to other things, it isn't something you get to eat piece after piece until you are full.

Periperi Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%