Gumpaste Roses Falling Off Wires. Help !!!

Decorating By Tinne82 Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 8:17pm by TexasSugar

Tinne82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinne82 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! This is the second time I have problems with my gumpaste roses staying on the wire. I have been using the recommended 20 gauge wire and then formed my bud. Dipped the wire in gumpaste glue and then inserted in the bud. I let it dry for 2 days. Once I start gluing on the petals, by the time I get to the 3rd row, the flower falls off the wire! It's so frustrating! Can anyone help. Has that ever happened to any of you?

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 5

Do you bend the wire into a hook before inserting it in the bud? Insert the hook, twist a little bit, and pinch the end to seal it over the wire.

You can also heat the wire in a flame instead of using gum glue but be careful not to burn yourself, especially with a hooked wire.

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 5

For bigger roses I use 18 guage wire , its a bit stronger . Maybe your buds are too big ? That happened to me before and the wire wasnt strong enough. Good Luck

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 5

Are you using coated wire? To me it seems that the gumpaste could pop off uncoated wire, but if it's wrapped in thread or paper, the gumpaste will have something to stick to. Craft stores sell thread wrapped wire, and I've seen paper wrapped wire at cake stores. Either work fine.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 5

Paper coated wires hold better.

Also when you push the hook into the bud you are making a wider opening, so you need to do like TexasRose said, or pull the wire through the top of the base, and then reshape the base. Gumpaste will shrink a little when it dries, so if you go in through the bottom and leave a little larger area it could shrink enough to make things loose.

I love the heating the wire trick!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%