Ganache Filling - Need Advice Please.

Decorating By MUAKPsi Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 2:50am by mommyandmecakes

MUAKPsi Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I'm doing a birthday cake for this Sunday. It will be devil's food cake with chocolate butter frosting. I don't normally tort my cakes, but thought I would try that and add a filling. I have to please kids and adults with this one cake.

I've done some research and found a lot of people recommending the choc ganache with devil's food cake. But I've always thought ganache was pretty thin. Do you think it will soak into the cake if I'm assembling it on Saturday?

Also, do you think it it too many different types of chocolate?

Thanks so much!

3 replies
TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 4

There are different ways to use ganache. There is poured ganache, which is very thin. There is a thicker ganache (you use less cream) that is the consistency of peanut butter.

MUAKPsi Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:24am
post #3 of 4

Thanks a bunch. I'll look into the thicker style and see what I can find.

mommyandmecakes Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 2:50am
post #4 of 4

Ganache is wonderful...i use the 2:1 ratio! Two parts semisweet ( very important) one part heavy whipping cream. Get cream to a rolling boil then pour over chocolate in a bowl. I wait a couple minutes then stir it, cover and let it sit overnight. Then the next day I put in microwave for 30 sec intervals and use as fillin and seal the entire cake. Let it sit until it hardens and smooth edges with a knife, then you can decorate almost any way - bc, fondant, Judy have fun! Hth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%